HRR21VKA - flywheel brake shot

FishnFed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are there any instructions anywhere on how to replace the brake on the flywheel? When I let off the lever to stop the mower, she grinds very loudly. I can't find instructions anywhere. I have done a search on this forum and can not locate it.

thanks for any help you all can give me.

Regards, Wally "FishnFed"

Edit - should be HRR216vka

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post all the engine number off the side of the block. Probably going to have to replace the brake assembly.

FishnFed

Forum Newbie
Threads
HRR2168vka

sorry, missed one. If this is not the correct number, I'll go check again.

thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The numbers you are posting are mower model numbers, not engine numbers, and I still think they are not right. That being said I think the part you need, from the info you provide is Honda number 75100-ZOL-901, which is the brake assembly. Honda does not offer free service manuals in PDF format, but replacing the brake assembly is not difficult if you have any experience with small engines.

FishnFed

Forum Newbie
Threads
The numbers you are posting are mower model numbers, not engine numbers, and I still think they are not right. That being said I think the part you need, from the info you provide is Honda number 75100-ZOL-901, which is the brake assembly. Honda does not offer free service manuals in PDF format, but replacing the brake assembly is not difficult if you have any experience with small engines.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I have the mower stored under the house at the moment. I've ordered the part from a local dealer and think I can pop the cover and replace it. Interesting site with a strong knowledge base. Thanks. I'll be lurking on the side inasmuch as I don't have much experience but enjoy the read.

Regards and Merry Christmas to all.

FishnFed

Forum Newbie
Threads
To close the loop and if anyone else has this same issue, I'll provide what I did:

On this particular mower, the brake pad comes as an entire assembly. It was about $17 at the local John Deere shop that also handles Honda, Exmark, etc. I removed the sparkplug boot so I did not get an unexpected start. I then removed the four nuts that hold the gas tank assembly and flywheel/fan cover on. I had to remove the fuel line in order to completely get the tank out of the way. Fortunately, the tank was already empty, so I only had a tablespoon or two of gas leak out on some rags I put underneath the line. With the tank off and flywheel cover off, I was able to access the flywheel. The flywheel is attached to the shaft by on 3/4 " nut. I used a strap wrench to hold the flywheel while I loosened the nut. With the nut off I was ready to remove the flywheel. I went to the local Auto Zone and rented a two jaw gear puller. There are indicators on the flywheel mark "puller here" to show you where to put the jaws on the aluminum flywheel. I slowly cranked down on the puller, gave it a few taps and it came off with a "bang". The flywheel brake assembly is now completely visible. I is held on by two bolts. The bolt towards the front of the mower is shorter then the one towards the rear. They are both 10mm. I removed the bolts, removed the kill switch spade connector, and the plastic keeper that holds the kill switch out of the way. The kill switch cable that runs up the handle was not too difficult to figure out if you hold your tongue right. Assembly was the reverse. Not a big job, but took a bit of nerve yanking the flywheel off. Good luck.

The motor was the 160.

asnigro

Forum Newbie
Threads
To close the loop and if anyone else has this same issue, I'll provide what I did:

On this particular mower, the brake pad comes as an entire assembly. It was about $17 at the local John Deere shop that also handles Honda, Exmark, etc. I removed the sparkplug boot so I did not get an unexpected start. I then removed the four nuts that hold the gas tank assembly and flywheel/fan cover on. I had to remove the fuel line in order to completely get the tank out of the way. Fortunately, the tank was already empty, so I only had a tablespoon or two of gas leak out on some rags I put underneath the line. With the tank off and flywheel cover off, I was able to access the flywheel. The flywheel is attached to the shaft by on 3/4 " nut. I used a strap wrench to hold the flywheel while I loosened the nut. With the nut off I was ready to remove the flywheel. I went to the local Auto Zone and rented a two jaw gear puller. There are indicators on the flywheel mark "puller here" to show you where to put the jaws on the aluminum flywheel. I slowly cranked down on the puller, gave it a few taps and it came off with a "bang". The flywheel brake assembly is now completely visible. I is held on by two bolts. The bolt towards the front of the mower is shorter then the one towards the rear. They are both 10mm. I removed the bolts, removed the kill switch spade connector, and the plastic keeper that holds the kill switch out of the way. The kill switch cable that runs up the handle was not too difficult to figure out if you hold your tongue right. Assembly was the reverse. Not a big job, but took a bit of nerve yanking the flywheel off. Good luck.

The motor was the 160.
Thanks for this, I was really hoping to just buy a new brake pad and glue it to the metal but it sounds like that isnt going to be an option. Kind of a waste.