HRR216VKA GOVERNOR ISSUE

PNW Skipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took my mower out of storage, drained/replaced old fuel, checked spark plug, changed oil & air filter, & installed new blades.

The mower starts okay, but runs at a much higher RPM than previously and backfires everything when stopped. Letting it stand idle doesn’t appreciably reduce the speed or eliminate the backfire. This sounds like a governor issue to me, rather than a carb or autochoke function issue.

Has anyone else seen this problem, and know how to correct it?

Model: HRR216VKAA HK
Serial: MZCG-1178344

Thanks!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i would begin by performing a governor adjustment

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
1652060513631.pngDon't worry about the torques

PNW Skipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the resource. Will get to it later this week and let you know how it went.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something else I would check before adjusting the governor is make sure the throttle shaft in the carb turns freely. Sometimes after setting gas will accumulate around the base of the throttle shaft in the carb and get gummy preventing the shaft from working correctly.

PNW Skipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something else I would check before adjusting the governor is make sure the throttle shaft in the carb turns freely. Sometimes after setting gas will accumulate around the base of the throttle shaft in the carb and get gummy preventing the shaft from working correctly.
Will definitely check this first.

PNW Skipper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Throttle shaft was okay. The lever activated by the plunger on the auto choke feature appeared to be stuck. Cleaned, lubricated, & reassembled. Running normally and stopping without backfire.

HurstGN

Threads
The autochoke pellet is pretty cheap. Might want to replace it to avoid sticking in the future.