HRC216 self propel stopped

rainman1442

Threads
I've had this HRC216 for just over 6 years and it cuts 25 yards a week here in Maryland. It has been a quality machine with basic wear and tear issues.

This weekend, I was cutting a yard and was half way through when I made a swipe and turned to go back and engaged the self propel and nothing. The wheels didn't turn anymore. The engine developed a high pitch noise that hadn't been there before. I checked the cables at the controls and at the gear box and did not see anything unusual. I sprayed lubricant on the cables and springs as well yet still no self propel.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have a suggestion as to what to do?

I've checked and a new transmission is almost $400.

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had this HRC216 for just over 6 years and it cuts 25 yards a week here in Maryland. It has been a quality machine with basic wear and tear issues.

This weekend, I was cutting a yard and was half way through when I made a swipe and turned to go back and engaged the self propel and nothing. The wheels didn't turn anymore. The engine developed a high pitch noise that hadn't been there before. I checked the cables at the controls and at the gear box and did not see anything unusual. I sprayed lubricant on the cables and springs as well yet still no self propel.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have a suggestion as to what to do?

I've checked and a new transmission is almost $400.

Thanks.

(1) Check the fluid level...inspect under the trans, look for any leakage of fluid if the level is low.
(2) Check for full movement of the control arm on the side of the transmission when you engage the drive lever. Cable may be stretched, out-of-adjustment, or broken/disconnected otherwise.
(3) Check the driveshaft where it enters the transmission; confirm it is spinning when the engine is on.
(4) Check the wheel ratchets on the drive axle.

There were a few service bulletins on the HRC216, some related to trans/drive issues. Share the full serial number with me and I'll check for you. It is on the upper rear deck, "MXXX-1234567"

rainman1442

Threads
Thanks for your reply.

The serial # for the one with wheels not moving is MAKA-1077993
My other two are MAKA-1059147 and MAKA -1174193

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your reply.

The serial # for the one with wheels not moving is MAKA-1077993

Records I have show this mower was sold new on 4/7/2009 to a Tim N. in zip code 21502.

Okay, so check all the things I listed in the first message. In particular, look closely at the underside and HST fluid level. If dry and normal, then probably a cable or shaft problem.

Your serial number was in a batch of HRC models that might have an HST leak due to a torn or split gasket. If enough fluid leaks out, it can cause a howling or chattering noise. Honda issued a Service Bulletin for this possible problem back in May of 2012. If your mower does have an HST leak, it could be the reason. Here's where to look:

hrc216%20torn%20gasket_zpsk9osleli.jpg

rainman1442

Threads
Your records are accurate.

No apparent leak and control arm is working, however the driveshaft is not spinning.

What does this mean?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your records are accurate.

No apparent leak and control arm is working, however the driveshaft is not spinning.

What does this mean?

probably a broken joint or pin on the driveshaft. i will get you more details when back in the office tomorrow.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
however the driveshaft is not spinning.

Remove the driveshaft cover...

Check the joint pin where the driveshaft connects to the transmission.

The drive shaft is driven off a gear inside the engine, and I think it is a spline-type connection. The shaft is supported by a couple of bosses internally, and a lock pin holds it in position:

shaft%201_zpsslq8xhod.jpg

shaft%202_zpsjoygbqgc.jpg

rainman1442

Threads
Thanks Robert. I'll check with a buddy of mine who may be able to help me with this project. I appreciate all your help!

Tim

rainman1442

Threads
It looks as though the joint pin that goes into the driveshaft part of the engine has come out. It created a scrape on the mower deck and I was able to remove it to see that the driveshaft spins when the engine is running, Now just need to figure out how the pin goes in and remains. The retaining clip looks twisted so I have some research to do. Any help or pics for this?

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looks as though the joint pin that goes into the driveshaft part of the engine has come out. It created a scrape on the mower deck and I was able to remove it to see that the driveshaft spins when the engine is running, Now just need to figure out how the pin goes in and remains. The retaining clip looks twisted so I have some research to do. Any help or pics for this?

Thanks.

Yes, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a .PDF of a related Service Bulletin with lots of details and images. FYI, your mower was built after the bulletin was issued, so it is not subject to the repairs outlined in the bulletin, but the artwork and details will help with your repair.