HRB216 HXA Wheel Options

bloofter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picked up a used HRB216HXA that looks like it's in really good shape, just going to tune it up a little (sounds like it near wants to stall out when engaging the blade so I'm going to check the governor with a tach at the very least). Tires are getting a little worn down though, which I've gathered is a common enough issue. Unfortunately it looks like this particular model is relegated to only ONE oem part for front wheels for about $25/pop while others can kind of share/swap out a little here and there and they're a bit cheaper. Makes sense though, it looks like other wheels would fit just fine, but the HRB216 has weights attached on the inside of the front tires (and removing them I assume would make it more likely the mower would tip back).

Anyway, getting to the point. I'm kind of interested in getting something more durable on the front side if I'm spending up to $25/wheel. Anyone tried or can recommend anything aftermarket? I'd need to take some measurements tomorrow, but I thought these looked relatively beefy. Couldn't swap out the back wheels though, I'd need to use OEM on those for the drive gear. Can't think of a way to transfer the gear or weld it or anything to a new wheel.

Beyond that, I might just bite the bullet next year and spring for new OEM tires. Or I might try some of the other stuff I saw like screwing in sheet metal screws to act as traction studs, or expoxying and screwing down bike tire rubber to the old wheels (re-treading). At a certain point though, "the things some people do to save a few bucks", right?