HRA216 Decompressor

kknh3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been having trouble with my Honda HRA216 bucking really badly when I pull the starter rope. After some internet research, I suspected that the decompressor was not working correctly. I disassembled the engine and pulled out the camshaft. I anticipated finding the spring broken or some other issue with the decompressor. However, other than a little wear as pictured, it seems to be fully functional. Would the little bit of wear on the low speed lobe be enough to cause the decompressor not work and result in bucking when pulling the starter rope? If not, what should I look at next? Thanks in advance.IMG_9327.JPGIMG_9319.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What was the valve lash ?
Usually the valve lash opens up thus defeating the ACR.

kknh3

Forum Newbie
Threads
That was it. I remember setting the valve clearances in the last year or so. Somehow the stud that the exhaust valve rocker pivots on had backed out about 1/8". Once I tightened that down and reset the clearance, it starts much more easily. Thanks for the help.

Chris Parman

Threads
klnh3: What exactly do you mean by this statement? "I've been having trouble with my Honda HRA216 bucking really badly when I pull the starter rope." From a engineering perspective that spring and assembly is there to advance and retard timing throughout the RPM operating range. So I don't understand your use of the word "Buckling"