HRA216 Commercial mower BBC question

giovanni1

Threads
Hi, I have a 1989 HRA216 Commercial mower. The mower itself is in overall great condition and built like a tank but as it sits right now the blade is always engaged, No matter the position of the upper hand lever. I have taken a look underneath and there is some movement in the cable when the lever is activated. Underneath, the cable reaches the 'stop' position fully. When the upper lever is engaged, the cable underneath moves about 0.5" away from the 'stop'.
Usually when the BBC system goes the blade is unable to be engaged, this is the opposite!
Is this normal, or could it be possible that someone before me has manipulated the BBC? Just curious... I had a look for some parts if need be and they do seem to be available, but very pricey. I am not sure it is worth the $$ to fix.

olgeezershonda

Threads
From a safety standpoint it would make sense that if the BBC is 'broken' the blade will not engage until its repaired. So if your blade is always engaged it might have been tampered with. My HRA215 is likely similar so if you need a picture from below I can post one for you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The most common cause of this is the bearing sizing so no matter what position the clutch is in the blade will spin

giovanni1

Threads
Would that be Part #25 in the attached image that you are referring to? 'Radial Ball Bearing'?

91103-VA4-003​

[ATTACHREUSE]

Attachments

• HRA216Bearing.png
    HRA216Bearing.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 13

giovanni1

Threads
OK thanks, just wondering if the rest of the BBC system is working properly. Is there a specific distance that the cable underneath should pull away from the 'stop' position when the lever up top is engaged?
Right now it moves about 0.5" away from the stop, I can see some movement in the clutch plate itself as well, but not very much. maybe 1/8" up and down if that.

giovanni1

Threads
Hi, I took a better look at the entire diagram this time. Seems there are 2 different bearings. #25 and #26. see attached. I am a bit confused... is this schematic showing all the parts for one mower or is it divided into two? one on either side? Or.. do the parts on the left side fit under the parts on the right side?

Attachments

• HRA216.png
    HRA216.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 8

Tecmech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rust never sleeps. The bearing lives in a tough environment. Clean off the rust, replace the bearing and go back to mowing.