HR215 SXA Transmission

Digger17315

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and new to the group.

Over the past decade or so, I've collected a few vintage Honda aluminum deck mowers (mostly HRS-21's). I recently grabbed an HR215 SXA (serial number 6025456) in generally good condition. In the process of refurbing the old Honda, I pulled the transmission with the intention of changing oil and checking overall condition.

To say the job was a bear is an understatement. Even with the exploded view, it was a struggle to get it back together. Once reinstalled, I can only get the transmission to operate in 3rd gear (highest speed). I did have to take the shift lever off in order to remove the cable clevis pin and I'm afraid that I may have messed up the orientation on the splined shaft...but not certain. Trying to avoid having to pull it all apart again...would anyone on the site have any idea if anything else inside the gearbox could cause it not to shift or is the problem likely limited to the lever orientation on the splined shaft?

Here is a link to the exploded view: https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce407f870022d24bdbcc2/transmission

Thank you in advance. I'm generally able to figure out this sort of mechanical complexity, but this has me stumped.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Purchase Shop Manual above for complete instructions all assembly's.
Splined shaft orientation could very well be your problem. Place shaft in 1st gear by rotating counterclockwise & install cable. I am not in the business of selling manuals, helping folks with technical advise is what we do on this forum. If transmission is still locked up you will need to disassemble.

Last edited:

Digger17315

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchase Shop Manual above for complete instructions all assembly's.
Thanks. I didn't ask my question so that I could be sold a shop manual. Just simply need guidance as to what might be causing the transmission to be locked in third gear.

Digger17315

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright, I'm going to close this post by stating that on the second attempt I managed to get the transmission reassembled properly.

Assembling is quite straightforward, but my mistake is that I had the Change Shaft Keys and Springs (items 3, 10) riding above the Shifter (item 23). There is an annular groove around the ID of the shifter that accommodates the end of the Change shaft Keys, thereby allowing the Shifter to move the keys up and down the gears...effectively locking them in place for each shift selection. Several other learnings to share through the process:
  • Collapsing the mower handlebar allows for extra cable slack. This is the only way to get to the clutch and shifter levers on the transmission to disconnect them.
  • Start by cleaning up the axle shaft on both sides of the case with sandpaper. If you don't, you'll destroy the seals pulling apart the case.
  • There is a washer under the differential ring gear that unless perfectly aligned, will not allow the case halves to come back together. Use your pinky to spot some grease under the washer to fix position.
  • Leave the detent ball, spring, bolt & washer out once it's back together. It's way easier to fill the assembly with hypoid through the detent bore. Once full, install the detent parts.
  • The knurled shifter shaft lever has no key for alignment. If you forgot to scribe an orientation mark (like me), simply click the lever all the way down to 3rd gear until it stops. From there, insert the cable into the arm; insert the clevis pin and cotter pin...then assemble onto the shifter shaft and secure with the pinch bolt and nut.
1669377417980.png