HR 215 will not shut off

yarcraftman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1991 Honda HR 215 lawn mower that has been a fabulous machine. Unfortunately it currently will not shut off using the normal throttle lever control.

The cable appears to move fine but a control arm with a spring on will not go all the way forward to shut the engine off completely when finished. I can use my finger (with the glove on because its hot) to move this arm forward and the engine will shut off. I noticed a spring that looks slightly worn and wondering if that could be the cause? I sprayed some WD 40 on the control arm and spring which worked for one mowing.

I think my I may need this part but wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any other thoughts?

Honda HR 215 Model lawn mower

Part # 16574-ZG9- M00

Spring Lever

Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1991 Honda HR 215 lawn mower that has been a fabulous machine. Unfortunately it currently will not shut off using the normal throttle lever control.

The cable appears to move fine but a control arm with a spring on will not go all the way forward to shut the engine off completely when finished. I can use my finger (with the glove on because its hot) to move this arm forward and the engine will shut off. I noticed a spring that looks slightly worn and wondering if that could be the cause? I sprayed some WD 40 on the control arm and spring which worked for one mowing.

I think my I may need this part but wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has any other thoughts?

Honda HR 215 Model lawn mower

Take a look at this parts drawing...which part (arm) and direction are you manually pressing to get the engine to shut off? It may be the throttle cable is slightly out of adjustment, not allowing enough movement to activate the switch...?

stopswitchcontrol_zps03d19a18.jpg

yarcraftman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

Thanks for the posting and your guidance.

The arm I am pushing up manually is located between the left hand of the spring (part#19) and (part#8).

This arm if you will is where the hole is that the left hand side of that spring goes into (part#19). This arm is held on by a rivet looking type of mechanism.

I initially sprayed this arm with some WD 40 as well as the all the cables and it worked once. My part#19 the spring looks comprimised I think?

I will try to attach a photo with some notes; it may need to be enlarged for viewing. Hopefully this helps you (to help me).

Thanks again for your time Robert; you have always been helpful. While I am not in a rush for winter; I waiting for my new HS724 to come to town :)

Have a great day.

Attachments

• HR 215 Throttle with notes.jpg
    HR 215 Throttle with notes.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21

yarcraftman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

I just thought about that rusty colored rivet that holds the gold bracket on that I push foward; I wonder if that rusted out and is perhaps preventing the movement? Just another idea?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

I just thought about that rusty colored rivet that holds the gold bracket on that I push foward; I wonder if that rusted out and is perhaps preventing the movement? Just another idea?

The spring is shot; I'd start by replacing it, and maybe a little lubrication on the pivot points.

yarcraftman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Robert; just ordered a new spring over the weekend. Does not look like a big deal to fix thankfully.

Thanks again for your help as usual!