How to disengage transaxle on JD320

IRDMOWER

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have several John Deere 320 mowers but only 1 is running now. I have read that to disengage the transaxle so that it can be moved that you press up on the lever mounted under the fuel tank on the transaxle. I have done this multiple times, even driving a wooden wedge under the lever to hold it up, with no luck.
I have had to move it with brute force, skidding the tires which hasn't been good for the yard and probably not for the tractor.
thanks in advance for your help as I'm going to have to move it as we are fencing the property that it sits on.
thanks again,
Bill in JB

Edit: I just read that you press down on the lever but the lever is already bottomed out on the transaxle case.
I tried both raising and lowering the lever on my operating mower, on concrete, while rocking back and forth but it still couldn't be rolled.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you holding down lever while in neutral and trying to push the mower?

Snippet from owners manual for the 320.
1626622379417.png

IRDMOWER

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you holding down lever while in neutral and trying to push the mower?

Snippet from owners manual for the 320.
View attachment 57536
Thanks for the prompt reply and pics from the owner's manual.
The lever on my machine is bottomed out on the transaxle case so it can't be moved. It looks like I will have to remove the body and fuel tank in order to get a better look at it.
Not really looking forward to removing the body.
thanks,
Bill in JB

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nor do I on normal repairs but it is sometimes necessary. In the last few years I have undone more and more fender pans just to replace idler pulleys because the OEMs decide to use regular hex head screws (bolts) and then to use carriage bolts even through some still use square holes.