How to convert x380-48" deck to mulching?

Ed333

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a quick and easy conversion kit for the 48" deck on my X380? I recently borrowed my neighbors X350-42" which was in mulching mode, and I believe that is the way to go. I am not interested in spending the money on the automated/electric control version shown on the JD site with an X380, but I did not see a simple bolt -on, leave-it-on option. Is this do-able without buying a new deck? I would be willing to leave it in mulching mode full time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

RaulMcCai

Threads
I wonder how much extra power it consumes and how much more slowly you have to go to let it do the job?

Ed333

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears you have the 48A Deck.

So check with your dealer and see if the BUC10705 kit is still an available option. It around $300. And it is a manual operated system.

https://salesmanual.deere.com/sales...t/attachments/buc10705_mulch_control_48a.html

Description of the kit.
https://hutsonparts.com/products/48...-Reilly&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=hutson
Thank you , I have emailed two local JD dealers. Do you think this is a do-it -yourself job, or better to have the dealer install it?

Ed333

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was also surprised to see blades included in the kit, which implies that different blades are required for mulching?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First it depends on your mechanical skills and the tools you have on hand.

And yes the blades you have now are probably high lift and your need mulching blades so clippings can cycle in the deck.

Ed333

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like some holes need to be drilled into deck. Only question there, what kind of anti-rust coating to put on drilled holes before assembly? I need new blades anyway, so that is not a problem. I borrowed my neighbor's mulching x350 and am quite impressed with how the yard looks.

raisin1

Threads
I changed my 48" X deck to mulch and did not notice any difference in engine load. If in heavy grass I will go a little slower to give it time to chop. I mow high. I use Rust-Oleum damp proof Primer with tiny brush.
I was bagging and finding a place to dump it was problem.