How much is this mtd worth?

metz12

Threads
So I have an ad out on craigslist for wanted lawn mowers. I want one to make go fast and have a toy but a guy emailed me back about this Mtd white model. Since its a hydro I figured I didnt want it for a toy but he said to make an offer. I have pictures attached below but anyways, I want to resell it since the mowing season is coming up right around the corner. He said it "ran great when it was parked last year" Also he said it "needs work" and i dont know that that entails. Also I dont know what size or make of engine it is. I thought mtds normally come with briggs engines but not sure. Any info would be great. I figured this would be the place to go to get a price and some info on it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• potential mower 1.jpeg
    potential mower 1.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 24
  • potential mower 2.jpeg
    potential mower 2.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 25

metz12

Threads
he emailed me back. He said it only needs a tune up. he said he would be looking for right around 200 bucks. i wasnt thinking that high more like $75. stillo not sure if that is too low of an counter offer for him or is that what it is worth?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
he emailed me back. He said it only needs a tune up. he said he would be looking for right around 200 bucks. i wasnt thinking that high more like $75. stillo not sure if that is too low of an counter offer for him or is that what it is worth?

What is the most can happen. Get mad at you and tell you NO. Is it a personal friend or a person you will never see again or care. Then if he says yes you got yourself a good deal.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your going to use it as a toy I would not go with a hydro.

Most I would pay for it would be $100 clean it up get it running good and sell for $300

lzn197

Threads
I usually set up an appointment to go look at it, knowing he has a number of 200. When I get there, I say things like this. "I see it's been sitting outside sir" (then I check the engine oil level and color). Then I ask, will it start? Try to operate a few controls and see if they are stuck.Then you go from there. You HAVE to point out what you SEE is not good and many times they will start to talk themselves down.

" So it doesn't start sir and the oil looks like mud and the deck is rusted through....hmmmm, 200? I don't think I want to pay that"

Watch his body language. If his hands are in his pockets or he covers his face or rubs it while talking, he is not truthful.

When you bring money, always take change if you want to bring the price down without having to pause to go get it. If the guy seems to be secretive and only answers questions with short words, make your offer and move on. And MOST important, if you drive there and it's a bad neighborhood, LEAVE!

I have learned a lot from my years of selling stuff. People can be funny and I can spot a flipper in 30 seconds.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most I would pay is $100. Clean and fix it up to resell for $500 since its a hydro.

metz12

Threads
you really think i can get 300-500 for it? and no carscw, i'm not going to use it as a play toy. thats why i posted the ad on cl but i figured when he emailed me i might be able to make a couple bucks off of it if the price was right.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
you really think i can get 300-500 for it? and no carscw, i'm not going to use it as a play toy. thats why i posted the ad on cl but i figured when he emailed me i might be able to make a couple bucks off of it if the price was right.

I sell used hydros for $500 with that deck size and shape. I sold a Poulan Pro hydro 3 years for $500.

metz12

Threads
I sell used hydros for $500 with that deck size and shape. I sold a Poulan Pro hydro 3 years for $500.

wow. so i should go look at the thing. thanks for the help.

metz12

Threads
going to go look at it sunday. it looks pretty solid. just dirty from sitting for a while. so what should i check other then if it runs, oil level/color, if the deck is rotted?? anything to get a cheaper price would be great.