How long do mower blades last ?

SlopeMan2

Threads
I bought a 10 year old Bad-Boy 60" that had a transaxle concern. The original owner maintained 7 acres with it all that time. Found out that the blades were COMPLETELY worn out, almost to a point on each end, thin and cracked. The fan blades were broken on one tranny, and guess it over heated. I serviced 26 hp Briggs, transaxles, greased, & replaced spindle bearings, and put on a new set of blades. I have 150 hours on it now, and it does a fantastic job. There is no hour meter on it. I am curious as to how many hours it could have on it. I doubt that the blades had ever been changed. If they can go 1000 hours, I would guess it is in that neighborhood. Has anyone seen blades that worn out - and how many hours would it take? It is certainly not safe, and I have never done that. I have 600 hours on my cub cadet 1500 tractor, and the blades are fine. It has never been around gravel etc. That would make a big difference I know.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
It depends on you the operator, sounds like you have everything under control. Everyone is different, do I run over sticks & pinecones etc. or do I pick up yard first? I prefer to pick up debris from my yard first before mowing. I do have neighbors that use different lawn services who pick up only big limbs, etc. & mow over everything else.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sandy soil will destroy blades like butta'. Wet grass is harder to cut than dry. Oregon blades are the best/hardest steel I've found.

If the end tip of the edge is rounded, time for new blades. If anyone uses a grinder on them which most people do, most likely, time for new blades. Blade balance could be way off. If yours don't look like a new blade, time for new.

slomo

TonyPrin

Threads
I've never had blades wear out because I don't keep them on long enough. In my experience, blades don't wear evenly so they become unbalanced beyond what I can correct and, at that point, it's time for new blades.

loneryder

Threads
My Ferris came with "Bain" blades which is some kind of specially hardened steel. I've had them sharpened once during 95 hrs and they are still cutting cleanly. I think they are like $25 a blade but to me they are worth it. I would think it would be worth it for commercial guys.

SlopeMan2

Threads
It depends on you the operator, sounds like you have everything under control. Everyone is different, do I run over sticks & pinecones etc. or do I pick up yard first? I prefer to pick up debris from my yard first before mowing. I do have neighbors that use different lawn services who pick up only big limbs, etc. & mow over everything else.
My wife mows the smooth grass with her mower, and I use the Bad Boy in the woods and rough stuff. Amazing how the blades take what they do. I have seldom bent one. I keep them sharp and balanced. Now I do have a little problem keeping the 30" blade straight on the 50 year old Snapper, ha. It has the independant rear brakes, that I use to mow a steep ditch with. Sure is better than using the old reel mower as a kid, ha. Thanks Mark.

SlopeMan2

Threads
Sandy soil will destroy blades like butta'. Wet grass is harder to cut than dry. Oregon blades are the best/hardest steel I've found.

If the end tip of the edge is rounded, time for new blades. If anyone uses a grinder on them which most people do, most likely, time for new blades. Blade balance could be way off. If yours don't look like a new blade, time for new.

slomo
Yeah, I don't let them get to looking too bad. I had the end a bush hog on a friends tractor, to fly off one time. I keep them sharp and balanced, and look for cracks. I just couldn't understand the former owner of the used Bad Boy letting his blades get so bad. Thanks slomo

SlopeMan2

Threads
I've never had blades wear out because I don't keep them on long enough. In my experience, blades don't wear evenly so they become unbalanced beyond what I can correct and, at that point, it's time for new blades.

SlopeMan2

Threads
That is some picture on your address. That must have been taken even before I made my first rotary mower in 1948. My dad and I built one, using a 1 1/2 Briggs off of a milking machine, plywood for the deck, had the blade and shaft built, used push mower wheels, plow handles, and a baby stroller pivot wheel. It was a good way to appreciate what we have today. Thanks Tony

SlopeMan2

Threads
My Ferris came with "Bain" blades which is some kind of specially hardened steel. I've had them sharpened once during 95 hrs and they are still cutting cleanly. I think they are like $25 a blade but to me they are worth it. I would think it would be worth it for commercial guys.