How Important Carburetor "Plugs" - Gold Machine 10546 (1996 vintage) "L" type of engine/carb???

evh

Threads
  • / How Important Carburetor "Plugs" - Gold Machine 10546 (1996 vintage) "L" type of engine/carb???
So I picked up this machine and when I prime it, it will start and then die, unless I keep priming. I have been through the carb 3 times. I have cleaned carbs before. I note that the two plastic plugs that cover the holes where you stick the screw driver to screw in the screws that mount the carburetor - are missing. I feel it is taking in too much air. Isn't that why they have the plugs? The plugs are part number 611545, see highlighted part below. I am going to try and rig
up some temporary plugs and see if that resolves my issue. Thanks for any hints.

Plugs.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / How Important Carburetor "Plugs" - Gold Machine 10546 (1996 vintage) "L" type of engine/carb???
Those plugs are installed on some carbs to stop dirt from entering the air cleaner from the back side. Really have no value is changing the amount of air entering the engine. I suspect that you will need to clean and rebuild the carb, replacing the float needle and seat. You must also check and adjust the float level.

evh

Threads
Thanks Rivets, you are correct, I doubt that has anything to do with my issue. Maybe I need to turn on the gas shutoff.... :oops:

That seems to have cured the issue. ? Although it seems to surge for the first minute of running, then it smooths out.

Any adjustments I need to make on the carb? I think these type of mowers go for quite a bit used, would I be correct?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By shutting off the fuel supply, you are just charging the amount of fuel entering the carb, not really fixing the problem. These carbs have no adjustments and because they are so cheap, it costs my customers less to replace and to try to clean and rebuild. The only thing that you might want to try is to run a few tanks of fuel through the engine, with some good fuel addictive, such as SeaFoam to possibly clean the carb.

evh

Threads
I'll try some Seafoam. I looked for a replacement carb parts and don't find any. Can you point me to a source?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the model and serial numbers from both the mower and engine so we can see what you have. That way we can advise you how to proceed.

evh

Threads
I have a Model 10546 Serial 6901101. See the attached photo and screenshot of information I found on it.

Shot1855.jpgShot1857.jpg

evh

Threads
I may try and post a video of it starting up. I can't remember how these typically behave. Here is how it is behaving:

- I turn the gas valve on ;)
- Note, it is 40 degrees out right now
- I prime two or three times and pull it two or three and it starts
- I usually have to push the primer a couple of times or it will die
- It seems to do some surging and then smooths out after about a 30 seconds - 1 minute
- It then runs nice and strong

Normal? My dad bought a LB in 1971 that is still in use today. My brothers and I mowed a ton of lawns with it. I think it is on it's third magnesium deck. I seem to remember that when I started that one I had to press the primer on top of it a couple of times after it would first start to keep it running. That was many years ago. So possibly what I am experiencing might be 100% normal. I will be selling this machine and I want to make sure it is in good condition.

Last edited: