How do you make your trimmer carb last forever?

juntjoo

Threads
I have gone through several, like at least one a year and have collected a ton of filters and fuel lines and spark plugs from these kits, I guess I could sell but I'd rather not have to keep buying the carbs. Can you seafoam them or something similar, fuel treatment, to keep these clean? I have an echo pas. Or if you know how to clean these. I've tried and never succeeded.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use 100% non-ethanol Hi-test for your mix fuel.

Most good oil mix products have a fuel preservative in them..

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
run Tru Fuel premix or use non ethanol gas mixed with a quality 2 stroke oil.
in the winter i just crank my weedeater up once a week and let it run for a few minutes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Simply not installing it would help.....Even then it will age.

Lawn Addict
Threads
run Tru Fuel premix or use non ethanol gas mixed with a quality 2 stroke oil.
in the winter i just crank my weedeater up once a week and let it run for a few minutes.
If you don't run 'em long enough to get a full heat in it. It will just create moisture internally.

Tbone0106

Threads
The primary weakness of these little two-strokes is the fuel pump, which is inside the carburetor. It's actually nothing more than a paper-thin rubber membrane, very delicate and flexible.

Regular pump gas contains up to 10% ethanol everywhere in the US. Ethanol is bad news for delicate rubber and plastic parts. Even worse, ethanol is hydrophilic, which is a fancy way of saying that it gets along with water quite well. These carbs fail because (1) the fuel pump membrane becomes too stiff to function or (2) the water that ethanol drags along with it plugs the tiny passages in the carb or leaves calcium deposits. Either way, your weed-whacker won't start in the spring.

I run pump gas in my two-strokes during the spring and summer, when I know I'll be using them often. Around the first of September, I switch to the canned stuff. By the time cold weather hits, everything is ready for the long winter nap, and in the spring will be ready to go.

Gunn308

Threads
1 oz Seafoam in every gallon of gas I buy for my smalls. Ice auger starts first pull or two, snowblower cranks up first pullsame with chainsaws,mowers, whackers and generator. I haven't had to clean a carb for 15 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the filter on your fuel line is good then all you have to do is tip the fuel out when you have finished then start the tool & run it dry so there is little to no fuel in there to evaporate and clog up the very fine holes or glue the check valves open or closed as the case may be.
Cube carbs can only be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner and even then it is 50:50
The bulk of the tune up kits are made from reject parts that are substandard from the start.
Other things that come into play are your location , the microclimate where your tool is stored, how you store your equipment .
In about 5% of the cases goops like seafoam & stabil will work in the other 95% all they do is cost money.
And it can be as simple as shifting it from the side wall of your shed to the back or visa versa

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Seafoam as well. It even is good at cleaning out air tools, like my impact guns..

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I use Seafoam as well. It even is good at cleaning out air tools, like my impact guns..
I clean 2-stroke carburetors all the time, and replace metering diaphragm. Carburetor spray, fine wire and air compressor (no ultrasonic cleaner). Works most of the time. I use 10% ethanol in all my equipment year round. Keep the fuel fresh and dump it out when in doubt. Carburetors will never last forever, but good OEM ones will last a long time.