How do you clean soot and hydrocarbon build-up out of the muffler on a B&S V-twin?

tonykarter

Threads
  • / How do you clean soot and hydrocarbon build-up out of the muffler on a B&S V-twin?
When I start my Ex Quest it blows out a large amount of black soot. Briggs and Stratton V-twin with the large 1/2 gallon-sized muffler underneath and behind the engine. Twelve years old with no previous cleaning. What product/solvent should I use to clean it out? Thanks.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / How do you clean soot and hydrocarbon build-up out of the muffler on a B&S V-twin?
(y)

tonykarter

Threads
Oh, Google it! Yeah, tried that...then I came here.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can reach inside with a torch of some kind. Burn the carbon out or use solvent. Unless you have serious carbon restriction, wouldn't mess with it.

I would be more worried about cleaning the block and cooling fins (yearly), valve adjustments (yearly) and decarbonizing your cylinder/s (every 5 years). All in your engine manual.