Honda Rotostop Assembly

stihlman

Threads
Hello

I need some help. I tried using some videos to guide me but it seems this detail was left out or I missed it.

so it is the old HR214 self propelled push mower. Symptom it started squealing after starting it, at idle. Engage it, it went away. I figured there was a bearing that had went bad. I ordered one and installed it.

The problem is how to safely put rotostop back, just in case I am calling the rotostop the two plates that makes a spring sandwich that bolts directly to the crank and the blade bolts to the bottom plate of the rotostop. The rotostop is what is confusing me. Do you tighten it up so the spring it compressed tight, plates together? That is what I did and it ran about 30 seconds and quit. It was locked up. would not spin. Pull on rope and it was too tight to pull out of recoil.

I read somewhere that 40ftpd was the torque on all 3 nuts. Crank bolt, both nuts on blade. That would compress the plates together.

So I loosened the nut in the crank where the two plates have a little movement between them and left the blade off and it now would turn over/pull out.

Another question besides the plates I can not get the cup on the recoil to hold my belt wrench, do I need to remove the red mower cover to be able to get a better bite. I assume a flywheel is under that cover.

Recap:
1. how to reinstall the rotostop?
2. should i remove the red cover to hold the flywheel while I tighten the bolts using you guidance?

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post complete Honda model number from mower. Locate your mower & illustrated parts breakdown from website below.

Last edited:

stihlman

Threads
Post complete Honda model number from mower. Locate your mower & illustrated parts breakdown from website below.
HR214SMA. GXV120
on plate HR214-AF
on tag H4000030

A parts guide does not provide the information I asked for. But thanks for the thought.

Honda Tech

Threads
See attached. I hope this resolves your issue. And yes, remove the fan cover to access the flywheel. Easiest if you have a good Strap Wrench to secure the flywheel with. May need to remove the ignition coil to give clearance for the strap.

Attachments

• HR214 BBC.pdf
    242.4 KB · Views: 6

stihlman

Threads
See attached. I hope this resolves your issue. And yes, remove the fan cover to access the flywheel. Easiest if you have a good Strap Wrench to secure the flywheel with. May need to remove the ignition coil to give clearance for the strap.
Thanks for that. Yes sir that covered the hole ball of wax. All those that follow can perform this task with those instructions.

I took it to the dealer he kept it over night, and jumped me ahead of everyone else because it was just tightening that bolt. I had the torque correct. I kept thinking about my legs and how much they mean to me...to guess. No more guessing its in black and white.

I guess me not removing the recoil was my downfall I used my belt wrench on the cup.