Honda HT3813 shuts off after 5-15 seconds

justinrohrer

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda HT3813 riding mower turns off within about 5-15 seconds of startup. At that point gas pours out of what I believe is an overflow(connected by a tube to the top port of the carb). The only way to make it run at that point is to put it in choke, although it runs roughly and still spews gas. I've tried installing an inline fuel filter and cleaning the carb with a cleaner(I believe it was Goof-Off), and that seemed to help for a while, but tonight it had the same problem again. It seems that the gas is being directed from where it should be going and into the overflow. I appreciate any help you can give.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Claning the carb is pulling it off & pulling it apart not spraying goo down the throat.

justinrohrer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yea, I took it off and then removed the bottom "pan". Then I poured the cleaner into the carb tubes. I have also tried spraying CleanRCarb into the carb while it was running.
I guess I should add that the problem is somewhat random, although most times it has the problem I described. Usually when it works for the first 20 seconds it has no problems for the rest of the time it is running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yea, I took it off and then removed the bottom "pan". Then I poured the cleaner into the carb tubes. I have also tried spraying CleanRCarb into the carb while it was running.
I guess I should add that the problem is somewhat random, although most times it has the problem I described. Usually when it works for the first 20 seconds it has no problems for the rest of the time it is running.
If for instance there is a little piece of rubber stuck between the float needle & the seat , you will not be able to remove it without removing both the float & the needle .
If the needle has damage to the tip you will not be able to see it unless the needle is removed.

Last edited:

justinrohrer

Forum Newbie
Threads
It dripped fuel tonight again when I tried to start it. It works fine now that I poured some Goof-Off down the tube where the needle sets. Should I get a new carb or is there a way to keep it from happening again?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Get some real carb spray, B12 chemtool, CRC , or Gunk,
And watch this video,
look in the links Mark gave you, and you'll find every part you need.
Most likely part number 4 is causing the grief, or it may just be trash in their sometimes not letting the needle fully seat closed.

justinrohrer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot for your tips to everyone who contributed!! I'll try some real carb spray, and if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new carburetor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It dripped fuel tonight again when I tried to start it. It works fine now that I poured some Goof-Off down the tube where the needle sets. Should I get a new carb or is there a way to keep it from happening again?

There should be a filter in the tank plus a second sediment tank under the fuel tap ( did you clean it as well ? ).
These together generally prevent any debris entering the carb.
The main source of debris with this set up is from careless removal of the fuel lines or chemical attack of the fuel lines from bad fuel.