Honda HRX217VKA (version K6) GCV200 valve train noise

FarmForce

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217VKA (version K6) GCV200 valve train noise
I bought a new HRX217VKA in July and it must have been built on a Monday ... right from the beginning the valve cover leaked oil. I fixed this myself because it was easy. At the same time I also checked the valve clearance and both valves were at 9 thousands (spec is 8 to 12 thousands) so well within spec. The engine right from the beginning develops a noticeable valve train noise that doesn't start until the engine has been running for 15 minutes or longer, so not until it is fully warmed up. The engine starts quiet on cold start and runs fully quiet for some time, but then after 15 minutes the tapping is starting lightly and gets a little louder; then stays as long as I mow (about two hours). I am sure it's not the valve clearance as I checked it when I resealed the valve cover. It must be something in the valve drive train. I don't think these K6 version engines have the valvetrain belt anymore and the valve train might be driven by gears. This would make a little sense because gear-driven cams can also develop noise from the drive gears if they are not gapped correctly ( Harley had this in the Evo engine). My old GCV160 was dead silent, but this new GCV200 is noisy.

Anyone else experienced this? Any comments or advice? Thanks!!

olgeezershonda

Threads
Advice? It's under warranty. I'd let the dealership take care of it.

Texas1step

Threads
I bought a new HRX217VKA in July and it must have been built on a Monday ... right from the beginning the valve cover leaked oil. I fixed this myself because it was easy. At the same time I also checked the valve clearance and both valves were at 9 thousands (spec is 8 to 12 thousands) so well within spec. The engine right from the beginning develops a noticeable valve train noise that doesn't start until the engine has been running for 15 minutes or longer, so not until it is fully warmed up. The engine starts quiet on cold start and runs fully quiet for some time, but then after 15 minutes the tapping is starting lightly and gets a little louder; then stays as long as I mow (about two hours). I am sure it's not the valve clearance as I checked it when I resealed the valve cover. It must be something in the valve drive train. I don't think these K6 version engines have the valvetrain belt anymore and the valve train might be driven by gears. This would make a little sense because gear-driven cams can also develop noise from the drive gears if they are not gapped correctly ( Harley had this in the Evo engine). My old GCV160 was dead silent, but this new GCV200 is noisy.

Anyone else experienced this? Any comments or advice? Thanks!!
I'm having the same issue, but I have the HYA. It uses the same GCV200 engine and I downloaded the manual. And the posts from the other dude is referring to the GCV190 which is the OHC engine. The GCV 200 is a OHV engine I realized that when I took the cover off. I am still trying to figure out more info on it. Like is it the same as the commercial engines, or a variant. But the torque rating is higher then the GCV190. I bought mine from A lawn care dude who only mowed 3 yards with it and decided he wanted a 30 inch toro. I changed the oil when after using it 2 times as the manual says 5 hrs. I used it last summer and after about 2 months it started doing the same thing. I noticed that my oil is dirty, and the spark plug has a lot of carbon on it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Suggestion: If oil is black change it, also check air filter for replacement. Always check oil level on dipstick before cranking.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I have the HRX2176HYC (C for Canada) with the GCV200. I bought it new last year. I've never seen any marketing material that suggests any GCV engines are commercial grade. It's the GXV engines Honda considers commercial but offhand the exact differences between the 3 engines you mention I don't know. Someone else will have to elaborate on that.

Following the recommended oil change schedule I don't recall it being overly dirty. No dirtier than what comes out my older mower equipped with the GXV engine. As suggested change it when you think it needs it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
in my opinion the GCV's are the worst of the honda engines. partly because of the design, i've replaced many cracked rocker arms in them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the rocker cover
The thin tin is easily deformed and then the rocker tap on the cover .
Solution is to get some thick cork gasket material & cut a thicker gasket
Continual taping on the cover cracks the rockers as Scrubby has already noted .