Honda HRX217 strange engine noise after transmission rebuild

ICE USER

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217 strange engine noise after transmission rebuild
I have a 12 year old HRX217 that had a hydrostatic transmission seal failure several months ago. Anyway, after getting a repair estimate and a lot of time on Youtube I decided to take on the repair myself. So, stripped it down, pulled the transmission, replaced the seals and finally today filled with oil and some gas, put in the spark plug and tried it out. I was amazed when it started up on the first pull but then I noticed that it sounded just terrible, like there was some sort of grinding noise in the engine. I turned it off and messed with it a bunch more times and while maybe it was my imagination that the noise wasn't as bad it sure seemed to still be there. During this time I verified that the blades and transmission were disengaged etc so not sure what is going on. On the plus side I did engage both the transmission and the blades and all that works great. Any ideas on what might be going on with the engine?

The mower itself was on its side (all fluids drained) for a good month while I waited on parts and stuff that I discovered I needed during the tear down, but I find it hard to believe that would cause any of this.

Thanks, Ice