Honda HRX217 starts, runs 10 seconds, dies

waldor1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRX217 which is only 2 years old. It starts and runs only a few seconds and then dies. It does this repeatedly. So far I checked the following: 1) verified that there is plenty of fuel flow from tank to carb 2) removed carb and partially disassembled carb, cleaned carb in ultrasonic cleaner, reassembled and re-installed carb 3) sprayed the carb linkage with WD-40. After doing this, the IDENTICAL problem still occurs. It starts and runs a few seconds and then dies. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thank you

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Honda HRX217 which is only 2 years old. It starts and runs only a few seconds and then dies. It does this repeatedly. So far I checked the following: 1) verified that there is plenty of fuel flow from tank to carb 2) removed carb and partially disassembled carb, cleaned carb in ultrasonic cleaner, reassembled and re-installed carb 3) sprayed the carb linkage with WD-40. After doing this, the IDENTICAL problem still occurs. It starts and runs a few seconds and then dies. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thank you
WD has a little oil in it. When you mow, grass and dirt go airborne ranger. See where this is going? Your linkage will be packed with grit and stop the throttle from working. Clean that mess off. Only oil you want goes inside the oil sump. Put the WD back in the closet where it belongs.

A carb pressure tester would help you. Would test the fuel tank, cap and fuel line. Also test the carb needle and seat.

Sounds like that auto-choke mess might not be working. Lean engine opening the choke plate early.

Remove the air filter housing. Look inside the carb throat. See if the choke plate is functioning. These mowers are known for a ton of autochoke failures.

Capture.PNG

waldor1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll try that. Thank you, Slomo