Honda HRN 216 Not Warranty?

Keithf1113

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone had to deal with Honda? I am in argument with them about my HRN 216 that blew up. I have owned it a little less than 2 years. Long Story Short is I took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it as a rod bolt coming loose. Honda asked them for pictures and they said the failure of the Engine is due to lack of lubrication. I am a Mechanic at an Acura Dealership so I have worked for Honda for the past 11 years and they said the best they can do for my loyalty is $200 off a new mower. These are the pictures That were sent to themCEC95CE9-4316-4214-B2BE-AE4E296ACBEB.jpeg649138C2-8F67-4DB2-85C4-D7221AF3D485.jpegA0EE2196-807F-4A60-A3EB-CCB70DB5EA0B.jpeg6A90B166-7C78-43E4-B523-1C564AEEDFDD.jpeg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you still have the engine write up a warranty repair diagnosis as you would for a car engine
Make note of the absence of aluminium build up on the journal and the absence of any discolourization which would be associated with the heat generated by running the engine dry.
Remember Honda make their determination based upon what the dealer submitted to them .
If you have company letterhead then do it on that
Include in your report that you believe the dealer has made errors as the broken bolt can clearly be seen. still done up
Lots of photos would also help

I have done second opinions for customers where the dealer has pretended to be on their side but was just angeling for another sale or totally incompetant .
The fact I am a metallurgist probebly helped but in every case the company sent their rep around & concurred with my diagnosis .

Keithf1113

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you still have the engine write up a warranty repair diagnosis as you would for a car engine
Make note of the absence of aluminium build up on the journal and the absence of any discolourization which would be associated with the heat generated by running the engine dry.
Remember Honda make their determination based upon what the dealer submitted to them .
If you have company letterhead then do it on that
Include in your report that you believe the dealer has made errors as the broken bolt can clearly be seen. still done up
Lots of photos would also help

I have done second opinions for customers where the dealer has pretended to be on their side but was just angeling for another sale or totally incompetant .
The fact I am a metallurgist probebly helped but in every case the company sent their rep around & concurred with my diagnosis .
I have talked to the case manager for Honda and they are ABSOLUTELY refusing any kind of warranty. Even saying the dealer is wrong.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I believe what Honda is going is the damage of the crankshaft journal. There is a lot markings on it that I don't normally see on most engines.
1657114771671.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next step is a small claims case
Threaten to sue
Most universities or trade colleges will do a failure analysis for a small fee
I have done hundreds of these
With a cheap mower is is not worth the effort or cost but for a Honda it might be
We used to give them to the students then one of the teachers would write up the results
A micrograph of a section through the con rod will show heat damage if there was no lubrication and grain growth if it was really excessive
While the scoring on the journal does suggest lack of lubrication, there is no oxide burn

Keithf1113

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve mentioned getting a Lawyer involved and the Case Manager pretty much laughed at me. And said if I do the $200 offer is off the table. The Case manager also said that he has no supervisor and is the only person I can talk to

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m going to be the bad guy here, but everything I see leads me to a lack of lubrication. Definitely aluminum transfer to the crankshaft rod journal. A loose rod bolt would not lead to overheating to cause this. Overheating of the bearing could cause heat to buildup on the rod bearing, causing expansion in the rod, allowing the bolts to loosen. That being said, I would like to see the mag journal and bearing surfaces. Could I be wrong, yes, because there was one time I was proven wrong a couple of weeks ago.