Honda HRC clogging problem

bangbang299

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a new Honda HRC216K3HXA and started cutting my grass and I can't get more then a few passes before it starts clogging. I can't use the bagger as I would have over 10 bags of grass clippings per week. But I can't use the mulcher either as it starts clogging after just a few passes. Its not that tall of grass about a week in between cuts and the deck isn't that low I have even tried doing 1/2 half passes and it still clogs. Is there a side chute for this model I feel like that would solve alot of the problems I am having right now?

David88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a new Honda HRC216K3HXA and started cutting my grass and I can't get more then a few passes before it starts clogging. I can't use the bagger as I would have over 10 bags of grass clippings per week. But I can't use the mulcher either as it starts clogging after just a few passes. Its not that tall of grass about a week in between cuts and the deck isn't that low I have even tried doing 1/2 half passes and it still clogs. Is there a side chute for this model I feel like that would solve alot of the problems I am having right now?

I just bought a new Honda HRC216K3HXA and started cutting my grass and I can't get more then a few passes before it starts clogging. I can't use the bagger as I would have over 10 bags of grass clippings per week. But I can't use the mulcher either as it starts clogging after just a few passes. Its not that tall of grass about a week in between cuts and the deck isn't that low I have even tried doing 1/2 half passes and it still clogs. Is there a side chute for this model I feel like that would solve a lot of the problems I am having right now?
I guess it starts clogging on the grass.. right? Anyway, what i suggest is that-

If you let the grass grow long it may choke up the mower even if you are only cutting 1/3. Try setting the deck on a higher setting to see if it goes better.
Make sure the underside of the mower deck is clean. If you have a mower that has a port to attach a hose for cleaning, use it to help keep the mower deck clean in between thorough cleanings.

Or otherwise, i would advice u refer to a help manual kind of thing if u have one. If not get it online, many are free, and the alternative to official manuals are usually found at reliable-store.com or u can simply get chilton/haynes ones if you're in for an expensive one.

let me know if this helps, or i'll try to find a good manual for u :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here we use a carrier disc with 4 swing back blades.
These are available in low, normal & high lift.
People using 2 pairs of low lift regularly have problems with the chute clogging which is usually fixed by fitting a pair of high lift blades.
Fairly sure the bar blade comes in a couple of different lifts as well.

OTOH If you are trying to cut wet grass, nothing will stop the chute clogging.
If you have the fabric catcher, wash it then leave it couple of days to dry.
Down here they can get very dusty & the dust slows the movement of air through the bag

bangbang299

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess it starts clogging on the grass.. right? Anyway, what i suggest is that-

If you let the grass grow long it may choke up the mower even if you are only cutting 1/3. Try setting the deck on a higher setting to see if it goes better.
Make sure the underside of the mower deck is clean. If you have a mower that has a port to attach a hose for cleaning, use it to help keep the mower deck clean in between thorough cleanings.

Or otherwise, i would advice u refer to a help manual kind of thing if u have one. If not get it online, many are free, and the alternative to official manuals are usually found at reliable-store.com or u can simply get chilton/haynes ones if you're in for an expensive one.

let me know if this helps, or i'll try to find a good manual for u :)

I just went out a checked because I was mowing yesterday and the grass height is at about 2 inches. My neighbors were cutting also yesterday and there is a very clear difference is the cutting height. I don't have a port for a hose attachment but every 20 mins during cutting yesterday I was tipping the mower over slightly and scrapping the cut grass off I did that about 7 different times. I have the manual for the mower right next to me but it doesn't say anything about this problem.

golfergordy

Threads
My son had a similar problem with his HR215 Masters. After adjusting the blade control cable to the owner's manual adjustment recommendations, the problem was solved. Another thing to check would be the engine rpm to see that it's within specs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you might need a higher lift blade than what you are using.
Also remember that wet grass will clog and the amount it clogs is very dependent upon the exact type of grass that you have in your lawn.
Some of them will clog even when dry, down here buffalo is the worst offender ant it is a very popular grass cause it handles drought conditions very well.

golfergordy

Threads
A thought just came to mind - check to see that the blade(s) have not been installed upside down. Also, do you have the standard Honda dual mulching blade setup? Do you use the mulching plug when mulching - you should if you don't.