Honda HR215 Mulch Plug

giovanni1

Threads
Hello all...

I just became the owner of this mower. Unfotunately it did not come with the mulch plug. Just wondering if someone can supply some information. I know that Honda no longer makes the mulch plugs for these machines, but I am hoping I can find at least a part number for it. You will find attached a pic of my specific machine. I have seen other HR215 but the deck and plug look a bit different (am I wrong??) I am not sure that the plug from one will fit the other??

Hoping someone can help me out with more information on the difference in mulch plugsDSC01574.JPGDSC01575.JPGDSC01576.JPG. Thanks

Last edited:

olgeezershonda

Threads
Looking on the ereplacementparts.com site I see a side chute for that model but not a mulch plug. The model number indicates it's a Canadian version? If so, and if you haven't already, contact a local Honda power equipment dealer and see what they can do for you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 11.46.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 11.46.52 AM.png
    537.4 KB · Views: 10

giovanni1

Threads
Yes, I am in Canada, so I am assuming this is a Canadian model.

The machine has dual baldes installed on it right now, so I am assuming that mulching is a possibilty??

olgeezershonda

Threads
It could be. I don't know what blade or blades originally came with it. The previous owner might have installed them. Using the link I provided does it show mulching blades? As it is have you tried mulching with it?

giovanni1

Threads
Not yet, I just acquired it today. But without the mulch plug I am not so sure it will do a decent job even if they are mulching blades.

My real concern is if the HR215 machines all use the same mulching plug. I see that there are earlier versions of the HR215 with slightly different engine appearance. The deck on mine is a darker grey, as apposed to the brighter silver that is on the earlier versions i believe. not sure if these deck are exactly the same?? If they are, then I will have to search for a complete sale (machine and plug) in the area. Then maybe sell off the machine separately.

olgeezershonda

Threads
Yours appears to have the plastic deck (now called Nexite) whereas the others are steel or aluminum so unlikely exactly the same. Before giving up on it I'd contact a Honda dealer and ask them what if any might fit your model.

giovanni1

Threads
No, its cast aluminum. Magnet wont stick so its not steel. And its sure not Nexite.

Last edited:

olgeezershonda

Threads
I don't if this will help or not but after looking at your owners manual it appears there was a mulching kit available. This PDF shows some information for part numbers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 10.55.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 10.55.15 AM.png
    79 KB · Views: 8

giovanni1

Threads
Some good news... I found a local listing for an HR215 with bag and mulch plug. I went down there expecting to buy everything from him. I took a chance and offered to purchase just the mulch plug for $40. I figured this would be my best bet at finding one. He first was hesitant, but after convincing him that he could still ask the same price for the machine, even without the plug, he agreed to sell me the mulch plug. Woohoo!

This machine already has the 2 blades installed on it. So I am assuming the previous owner was trying to mulch without the plug.

Anyways, thanks for your help everyone. My next chore is to try to find a battery and a chatger for the electric start. Not that I really need it but....