Honda HR 215 SX Clutch Cable and Spring Question

jsalis57

Threads
All,

I recently acquired a HR215 SX and am in the process of cleaning it up for my personal use. I have a HR 214 SX and know the old product line pretty well but am stumped on this one.

The 215 is equipped with the 3 speed transmission compared to the 2 speed transmission on the 214. The drive clutch spring mechanism is similar on the two but I cannot get the handle spring to reach the replacement cable at the handlebar on the 215. If I were to use the spring called out in the parts diagram for the 214 model it will work because it is about 1 inch longer compared to the spring that was on the mower of which all the parts diagram calls for on the 215 model which is too short to hook up to the cable. I have verified many times with multiple parts houses the part numbers for the cable and spring but in this configuration it simply does not work. The only I can think of is the original cable broke and the replacement cable that someone had bought for this mower is simply shorter than the original. The replacement cable certainly looks like the correct one as I have found on all the parts diagrams in many different websites. I am at a loss, I think the 214 spring will work, I just wonder what and when something may have changed through the years as to why I cannot get the configuration to work with the correct part numbers for the 215 as I think it should.
The spring that is on the 215 is Honda part# 54411-VA3-J00, which is what all the parts diagrams show. This spring is too short to hook up with the installed cable Honda part# 54510-VA3-J04 (1). The spring that is on the 214 is Honda part # 54411-VA4-800.
Does anyone have a picture they can send of the original cables and spring setup on an 3 speed HR 215 SX?

Last edited:

jsalis57

Threads
I called them, they could not help.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

jsalis57

Threads
Can anybody take a picture of the underside of the controls cable setup on their known original HR 215 sx so I can reference?