Honda HR 214 trouble starting need to have blade lever engaged to start

Chris B

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HR 214 trouble starting need to have blade lever engaged to start
Mowing yesterday I got into some thick grass. Mower started to bog down so I disengaged the blade and removed grass from the shoot. When I went to engage the blade the mower stalled. After that it was very hard to pull to start and wouldn’t start. Today I went to start it and again difficult to pull. But if I engaged the blade lever when I pulled it would start but the blade stays on. It ran fine until I disengaged the blade lever. The blade kept running eventually slowing down and then shutting off the mower. Any suggestions? It’s a very good mower and for its age I’ve never had an issue with it until now.
thanks

Chris B

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowing yesterday I got into some thick grass. Mower started to bog down so I disengaged the blade and removed grass from the shoot. When I went to engage the blade the mower stalled. After that it was very hard to pull to start and wouldn’t start. Today I went to start it and again difficult to pull. But if I engaged the blade lever when I pulled it would start but the blade stays on. It ran fine until I disengaged the blade lever. The blade kept running eventually slowing down and then shutting off the mower. Any suggestions? It’s a very good mower and for its age I’ve never had an issue with it until now.
thanks
Any suggestions with this issue would be much appreciated

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Hi:
Sorry for the late reply. I guess our real resident experts are unavailable, so let the third-string give it a try:
Perhaps the clutch bearing is seizing up.
When the blade is disengaged, the motor is allowed to spin thanks to this bearing. If it has ceased to function, the motor is forced to spin against the clutch brake itself. Remove the blade.
The clutch bearing is right under there. If it does not spin freely, you've found the problem.
And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Chris B

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi:
Sorry for the late reply. I guess our real resident experts are unavailable, so let the third-string give it a try:
Perhaps the clutch bearing is seizing up.
When the blade is disengaged, the motor is allowed to spin thanks to this bearing. If it has ceased to function, the motor is forced to spin against the clutch brake itself. Remove the blade.
The clutch bearing is right under there. If it does not spin freely, you've found the problem.
And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Thanks for the reply. I figured out the issue. It was driven disk. I replaced it and it’s as good as new thanks again

HarmonySeeker

Threads
The 'driven' disk?
Huh.
That's like the flywheel plate, not the clutch, going out. Odd.
Nevertheless, glad you got 'er fixed and running again!

Honda Tech

Threads
The 'driven' disk?
Huh.
That's like the flywheel plate, not the clutch, going out. Odd.
Nevertheless, glad you got 'er fixed and running again!
Driven disc is like the pressure plate for the clutch. All good!