Honda GXV160 on HRC216HXK1 after firing issue

FordGT18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd run this by you guys. I bought a second hand Honda HRC216 K1, which I knew was running rough when I bought it. I have cleaned the carb, replaced the air filter, spark plug and oil, and it runs great for about 5 minutes. Then it starts surging and backfiring through the muffler, (after firing I guess to be correct).

It only happens after it gets hot, so maybe a coil pack? I am running Unleaded 91. I don't know if it is related, but once the motor starts to play up, the blades will not engage. While its cold, the blades cut quite happily.

Any advice appreciated!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would purchase new carburetor, item 10, & Star Tron fuel treatment in fresh gas can. I would purchase a small plastic measuring cup at Walmart for measuring fuel treatment per instructions on bottle. Let us know how it goes & don't forget to purchase gaskets for new carburetor. Thanks, Mark

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try loosening the fuel cap
Problem goes away = bad cap vent , replace the cap
trey filling the tank to the brim , then removing the fuel line , if it virtually stops after a couple of minutes, take the tank off, remove the outlet ( it screws in on most ) and clean the tank & the filter

tadawson

Threads
Check your valve clearance as well.