Honda GX620 battery not charging

Philb1900

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a GX20 Honda on a hustler mower and the battery keeps dying. I checked the the regulator rectifier and if I did it correctly it is good. I am getting 12.6 volts at the battery (charged the battery for the test) but the reading doesn't change when running. I thought it might be the stator but I'm getting resistance from the 2 stator leads so I think the stator is good. I changed the rectifier just in case but I have the same problem. At one point when I was checking the battery while the motor was running it went to 14.5 volts and I thought it was fixed. Then I put it on again to double check and it was back to 12.6 volts. Any clue? I am not good with electrical so please talk slowly when give me ideas. lol Thanks in advance. Is there a stator test I can do with the motor running to see if it is putting out the correct voltage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Check your A/C output from the stator.. should be at 24 volts minimum, 28-30 is better. go from one wire to ground, check it. then same for the other wire.

olgeezershonda

Threads
You didn't say how old the battery is. Perhaps it's at its end of life. Is it a flooded wet cell battery similar to what's on a car only smaller?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This should be the info for the 20A charging system of the GX620 which most likely the Hustler would be using if it has an electric PTO.

1632253446995.png