Honda GX160 keeps popping, dying

OldNick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a GX160 Honda attacxhed to a fire pump. It has sat through the winter, with two starts.

Symptoms:
The engine starts great, but then starts popping and dies after a short time running.
I mimagine it was reasonably warm after I had tried several timnes, on a warm day in the sun....I know I was :(
It dies faster the harder I run it. If I try to pump water, which causes the governer to haul on the throttle, it dies within 5 seconds.
same if I haul on the throttle.
If I run it with minimal load, it takes 40-60 seconds to die, but then pops and dies. Some 10-15 seconds later or so, it will start again, only to repeat.

All of this sounds to me just like progressive fuel starvation caused by strangled fuel supply.

What I have tried.
(1) loosen the fuel tank cap
(2) run without air filter (this caused popping and dying instantly).
(3) Checking the main jet.
(4) Running with the choke on a bit, just to the point where it doies not cause actual stuttering.
this _may_ have delayed things, but then the engine will pop and die.
(5) cleaning the spark plug.
It was black after I ran with the choke on, but not later when I did not.
(6) Checking the fuel flow. It seems pretty healthy.
no bowl 125cc/minute
bowl no screw 125cc/min
bowl with screw loose and me holding the bowl flush...you guerssed it...125cc/min
= 7.5 L/hour ~ 2 US Gal/hour.
(7) checking the float bowl fuel capacity, both after the engine has died and I immediately turn the fuel off (so run run, pop pop pop, die OFF!, and also after I allow the bowl to fill without the engine running. The result was 19.5cc in both cases. A visual gave me maybe 6-8mm (1/4" +) above the "turn" of the bowl.

Any help appreciated

Nick

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes looks like you might need that fire pump this season, hope you don't but it does not look good.

Sounds like you have the fuel side sorted.
Did you remove the main jet and clean out all of the holes in the venturi tube ?
If they are blocks the fuel will not draw properly mid range.

Next trick is to remove the muffler an see if it will run without it on.
We get lots of mud wasps , native bees and other bugs that seem to think a muffler is bug Hilton over on the east.
Slip the rocker cover off and check the valves are moving full stroke and not hanging due to some rust.

Finally check for air leaks by running the engine and spraying WD 40 all over the carb & manifold if the engine changes sounds or blows smoke you have an air leak

I had a contract doing the Honda pumps he RFS puts in volunteer trailers after that meglomaniac Koperburg desimated the volunteer brigades.
Many of these need to have the cab in the ultrasound bathe for several 1/2 stints before they come clean.

OldNick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes looks like you might need that fire pump this season, hope you don't but it does not look good.

Sounds like you have the fuel side sorted.
Did you remove the main jet and clean out all of the holes in the venturi tube ?
If they are blocks the fuel will not draw properly mid range.

Next trick is to remove the muffler an see if it will run without it on.
We get lots of mud wasps , native bees and other bugs that seem to think a muffler is bug Hilton over on the east.
Slip the rocker cover off and check the valves are moving full stroke and not hanging due to some rust.

Finally check for air leaks by running the engine and spraying WD 40 all over the carb & manifold if the engine changes sounds or blows smoke you have an air leak

I had a contract doing the Honda pumps he RFS puts in volunteer trailers after that meglomaniac Koperburg desimated the volunteer brigades.
Many of these need to have the cab in the ultrasound bathe for several 1/2 stints before they come clean.

Sorry. My post was posted before I saw your very considered and helpful reply. I had waited days to even get recognisedd and more days waiting for _any_ replies. So please ignore my snottiness, particularly in your case.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry. My post was posted before I saw your very considered and helpful reply. I had waited days to even get recognisedd and more days waiting for _any_ replies. So please ignore my snottiness, particularly in your case.

No problems Nick.
Some times things take a while to pop up.
A long detailed reply is always better then the two words _don't go, as it gives us something to work with.

OldNick

Forum Newbie
Threads
A long detailed reply is always better then the two words _don't go, as it gives us something to work with.

OK. After making a fool of myself, I will stay here because I do actually know some stuff:smile:, but not all...:smile:. But I can maybe help a bit.

And yeah, I agree about the longer answer. I have given "more than" replies, on other forums where I _really_ knew what I was doing,.and I hate the glib reply that just generates a ot of wasted posts.

Nick

Threads
Old Nick I have a friend that lives in Perth He is from France originally but his work brought him to Perth some 25 years ago.. I finally met him last week when he flew down here for a fete that I put on 2 times a year for gardeners....

He works for the AG center and makes sure that nothing harmful gets into the country...............