Honda GCV170 / HRN216VKAA - Can't Pull Cord Due to Compression

eledford

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda GCV170 / HRN216VKAA - Can't Pull Cord Due to Compression
Somewhat new but willing to put the work in. Here is the story behind the mower:
The mower was working great and all of a sudden chugged loudly at a reduced very low RPM. I checked the oil (which was very low) and added oil. Pulled cord and continued to chug loudly and at a very low RPM. After a few starts the pull cord would build up compression and be super hard to pull. With constant force it would eventually release and rotate a couple spins before building up compression again.

Things I've tried so far:
- Removed the starter coil housing to make sure the rope pulls freely when disengaged from the engine. It does.
- Checked that the flywheel nut key looked intact - was able to remove the flywheel nut but not able to remove flywheel. Key looked like it was good.
- Checked that there is enough gas and gas was flowing.
- Removed all oil and added 12oz of fresh oil.
- Checked that nothing is stuck in the blades and cleaned bottom of deck.
- Cleaned carb
- Removed the spark plug & pulled the cord a few times to see if there was oil in there -- nothing came out. The cord pulls easily and completely when the spark plug is out. As soon as I put the plug back in, the problem reoccurs.
- Replaced spark plug. Prior plug end was covered in black soot.
- Checked the filter. Little dirty but serviceable. Also tried to start with filter off.
- Adjusted valves to .1mm

After the valve adjustment the the cord intially pull fine but couldn't get the engine to turn over (might have chugged a couple times before dying). After about 10 pulls the compression problem returned.

Would love to hear any other ideas?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda GCV170 / HRN216VKAA - Can't Pull Cord Due to Compression
delete your duplicate post. When you can't pull the cord, immediately remove the spark plug wire and try again. See if the resistance goes away. If it does not remove the spark plug and see if it goes away. If it does not then the issue is mechanical. If it goes away when the plug wire is removed then it is a coil timing issue, meaning that the flywheel may be loose. That would be my best GUESS. If it goes away when the plug is removed it may be fuel in the cylinder hydrolocking it.