Honda GCV160 - Engine Stop Switch

tomecho2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, trying to get a Honda HRU19r "Buck" back up and running and currently I'm slowly cleaning and servicing the main parts. It is a basic model, with no flywheel brake, no safety arm/lever on the push handle, and no other safety switches. Motor is the GCV160. Unsure about the serial number.

I've narrowed down a "no spark" issue to the Engine Stop Switch (black plastic box with a plunge button and a wire that connects to the coil).

When I have the throttle lever down (full power) I notice that a lever down at the governor plate pushes onto the plunge button of the Engine Stop Switch. This kills the spark. But when the throttle lever is up (stop) then I can get spark. It is not a fault with the wire that connects the Engine Stop Switch to the coil (tested).

This seems the opposite of how this should work?

Faulty Engine Stop Switch? Incorrect setup of the levers/governor?

I understand there are a few versions of this Engine Stop Switch that can act in opposite ways but the switch, throttle lever and governor etc are all original and unchanged so it can't be that someone has installed the wrong part.

This is what the switch in question looks like (might not be this exact part) :

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure the throttle is connected correctly and not working in the opposite direction. Meaning what you think is stop is actually full power and vise versa. the serial number should be stamped into the engine block just below the blower housing on a flat surface about 1/2 inch wide.

tomecho2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you sure the throttle is connected correctly and not working in the opposite direction. Meaning what you think is stop is actually full power and vise versa. the serial number should be stamped into the engine block just below the blower housing on a flat surface about 1/2 inch wide.
Thanks. Found the serial.

Oh far out. Yes, the throttle lever is operating in the opposite way. Lever down pushes the cable forward instead of backward.

Tested the engine off switch with a multimeter and it is operating correctly too.

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that GCV160 a repower engine? As in non factory installed on the mower?

slomo

tomecho2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that GCV160 a repower engine? As in non factory installed on the mower?

slomo
No, it's the original engine. The model I think was only made here in Australia called the "Buck" ... I think someone had actually changed the throttle lever and put it back the opposite way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep the Buck is an Aussie & Oceannia only model

Born2Mow

Threads
You can always disconnect the wire from the switch. Then extend the wire up to the operators area with a manual On/Off switch mounted there.