Honda gc 160 flooding

Areidenbach4229

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys i need some advice pertaining to my Honda gc 160 flooding issue. The motor is mounted on a log splitter and all stared a couple weeks ago. The motor would start surging like it was starving for fuel. So I took the carb apart cleaned it put it back together and it was still doing the same thing. It as a small fuel pump that works off vacuum from the crankcase. So I replaced it . Then I couldn't get it to even fire. It would just flood with fuel. My thought was the needle had got dirty or debris of some sort stuck in it. So Again I took the carb apart and cleaned it. To no avail! Still flooding. I read some things online and guys where talking about possible pitting from fuel in the carb. For 25 bucks a bought a brand new Honda carb for it. Before I installed it cleaned the out the tank and all the fuel lines. Put the new carb on it and it seemed to be fine . Just my luck then I noticed there was a hole in one of the fuel lines so I replaced it. Now it's flooding again. If I disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pump to the crank case it will run until the fuel in carb bowl is gone. Then hook vacuum line back up and it floods. I need some advice!!! Thanks for your time

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check carburetor float for being stuck in down position.

Dragonheart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GC160 engine on a pressure washer. First it wouldn't start and ifuel was not getting to the carburetor so I replaced the fuel pump and still no fuel to the carb. I then replaced the carburetor, TWICE! alsp the fuel lines. With new carburetors it floods so bad that the cylinder will lock up. The only thing the repair manual says and all the post relate to dirty or damaged carburetor. A new carburetor is clean and should not be damaged, certainly not two. So many posts about this same problem but no real fix I can find. Obviously, too much fuel is being delivered, but the adjustable pilot valve on these carburetors do not control the fuel flow. My thoughts are the problem is with the fuel pump, either not delivering fuel or overpressuring. I understand these fuel pumps have different pressure ratings? I am open to suggestions. But all I would tell anyone is I have always thought Honda made the best engines out there but this GC160 has changed my mind on that. In addition this is the worst designed carburetor system to work on that I have ever seen.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you bought 2 cheapo CCP carbs, then it is very possible for 2 new carbs to be faulty. it is also possible for trash from the fuel tank or fuel lines (which you replaced, so probably not) coming apart on the inside, to gunk up the needle and keep the float open.