Honda EM2500 generator

larrypac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda EM2500 generator which I don't use often but try to start a few times a year. Always has ethanol free gas. When i tried to start it today gas was dripping out of air cleaner. I drained the carb and cleaned the bowl and tried to start again with air filter off. It started and ran poorly with smoke belching from exhaust and then gas staryted gushing from intake side of carb. Took off valve cover and push rods seem to be moving up and down. Looking for advice. And when i say gushing, I meant exactly that. Would not have guessed there could be enough gas in carb bowl for the amount I saw. Appreciate any advice. Larry

I should have added that it pulled harder than I thought it should.

Last edited:

dana a

Threads
I'd say your needle valve isn't closing. The float could be full of gas or have a hole in it or stuck and it could be that something is between the seat and the needle valve. Was there a lot of crap in the bowl when you took it off and cleaned it?

larrypac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd say your needle valve isn't closing. The float could be full of gas or have a hole in it or stuck and it could be that something is between the seat and the needle valve. Was there a lot of crap in the bowl when you took it off and cleaned it?
I did not catch the gas when removed the side drain plug to drain carb but there was no schmutz in the bottom of the bowl when I took it off.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
float/needle is not stopping fuel flow into the bowl. rebuild or replace carburetor.
Do you have the model of the engine or generator, i'm not finding any breakdowns for the EM2500

larrypac

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's the GX160. pretty old but I found a breakdown on ereplacementparts. Plenty of carbs on Ebay for cheap. I've never had much luck rebuilding carbs and had pretty good luck with cheap ebay carbs so I'll probably go that route. Any ideas why it would pull hard? Probably been 6 months since I ran it

Forest#2

Threads
The reason it would pull hard is hydrolock. Raw gas on top of piston.
You could remove that carb and then remove the bowl and you will probably find that the float is stuck in the down position. You don;t have to rebuild your carb just turn the carb upside down back and forth and gett the float swinging. You might clean the needle and seat while you have it off and on the work bench. You need to check you oil in the engine. It might be gas contaminated and thinned out. Sometimes this can be seen as a high level on the oil dipstick. Also do a sniff test of the oil.
Also most all Honda gens have a fuel petcock that is intended to be turned off when not in use.

You have to be careful when getting replacement clone carbs that the choke lever is correct. (look at pictures on fleece bay then compare to what you have now, a standard carb usually will not work because the choke lever is different on a gen engine due to the configuration of the carb breather layout)
You

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Honda carbs use a rubber (viton) tipped needle, so the needle would only need replaced.

larrypac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good call Forest#2! I figured while I was waiting for the new carb, I would drain the oil and see if there was gas mixed in. Took out dipstick and had a gusher or what looked like mostly gas. I had neglected to close the petcock last time I ran it. Usually I close it and let it run the gas out of the carb but apparently forgot to do that. The float was moving freely and not filled but probably will put the new carb on anyway since something was obviously wrong.

Forest#2

Threads
Read what scrub cadet says about just replacing the needle. Also clean the seat with a Q-tip BEFORE installing the new needle.

If I find a needle that's not holding 3 lbs pressure testing first:
Sometime if it's a vitron tipped needle I can take a magnifying glass and carefully inspect the tip and see what looks like hair or small pieces of dried crud, use alcohol and carefully with a q tip wipe the crud, clean the needle seat and good to go.
If you have a mityvac 8500 pressure/Vac that will do pressure you can invert the carb upside down so as the float weight holds the needle seated and it should block 3 psi pressure. If won't block pressure at 3 lbs or up the needle needs replaced. (and the seat cleaned)

Do not be surprised if a China clone carb does not operate correctly, (rolling the dice) is WHY I mention just replacing the needle.
Sometimes I can remove parts from a Clone such as needle and install it into the OEM carb and all ok, but I do not guess at such, I do the described pressure test flipping the carb float up and down with the carb upside down just letting the floats weight operate the needle.
A blood pressure bulb with a 0-5 lb gauge can also be used.

larrypac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow up: I drained the oil/gas from the crankcase and put 20 oz of clean 10/30 oil in. Put the old carb back in after spraying all the openings with carb cleaner. Started up easily but after 30-60 seconds started to blow smoke. Drained oil and put more fresh oil in thinking that there might have been enough of the gas/oil left to cause a problem. Still smoked though after 5-10 minutes it smoked much less. Still more than I like. I haven't used this genny much other than strting it up a few times a year. Never use anything but ethanol free and usually put a dollop of stabilizer in for good measure. It did not run for more than 60 seconds when the case was full of gas. Could the piston/rings/cylinder have gotten damaged in that short of a time? I did have the valve cover off during this whole process and did not check the gaps butdid wiggle them and felt like a normal amount of play. Not tight or very loose. I put a new gasket under valve cover. If that was leaking, would it cause smoking? Again, I appreciate any advice. Larry