Homelite UT20044B Trimmer Question

gvel

Forum Newbie
Threads

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greg So you are trying to remove a stub shaft that has two threads, one for the spool, the other onto the pinion gear? If so I have not tried to remove the pinion end, but have disassembled the pinion assy for lube pack. If I recall, the thread for the spool is left (male) on mine like the outer spool cover. Why do you need to replace it?

gvel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wasn't very specific, but I was referring to the female end of the adapter...connects to the gear head.

A new one is needed, since the spool head bolt seized onto the shaft adapter. I had to cut the bolt head off, to remove the spool and head. I tried removing the gear head too, and it's stuck! :mad:

Otherwise, this trimmer is in great shape, and I cringe at the thought of dumping it. Replacement parts are inexpensive and plentiful.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Before posting this, I looked at the owners manual, and the spool retainer has LH male threads. Intuitively, I'd say the gear side (female) does too. What do ya think?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like the pinion should have left threads if it has threads. Are you sure it is screwed on? So you need to remove the pinion gear with the stub shaft remnant and either unscrew it or ?pull? it off . Did you look closely for a roll pin? Could it be splined on? If you use heat try to keep it under 300F to save the gear heat treat. Outermost flame pattern .Creep up.

gvel

Forum Newbie
Threads
You pushed me to look further, and I thank you!

It's a LH thread:

I should have seen this, to begin with!

Thanks Again, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

gvel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Better late than never! I got this beast apart and replaced the required components, including an 8 dollar fuel line, from the Homer Depot.

I, essentially, have an new trimmer! Gotta love the .080" line! :cool:

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!