HIGH revving

jsmith24

Threads
Hi foks - first, some background: my sons live out of state with their mom, so I'm helping the kids from a distance. Now the issue:

Mower in question: Toro Recycler 22in, self-propelled, Briggs and Stratton 6.5, model 20070.

My son had to replace the carb on the mower, which we all know isn't a big deal; however, he got ambitious and decided that he needed to remove the two bolts directly behind the carburetor which he says hold on a small metal plate. He removed those, the plate came off, and oil flooded out. He cleaned up the oil, replaced the plate, installed the carb. Now the mower runs, but it revs VERY high. I've had him check the governor arm and sent me pics of the linkage, and as far as we can tell, all that is assembled properly. He reinstalled the old carb (which only runs a few seconds then stalls out), and it revs high, too. I assume there's something behind that plate besides oil (valves, governor?), but I have no experience in this area. He's already backed what appears to be the idle screw out, and no effect.

He also replaced the safety cutoff cable on the right side of the mower. I'm hoping that he did something funky to the carb throttle cable, but I don't see how.

Can anyone offer any advice, videos, etc.? I'd really appreciate it - the boy feels bad about messing up mom's mower. :(

Pictures attached.

Thanks,

Jack
.119150211_380839249984396_7361545779677189631_n.jpgIMG_20200910_114125.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've never seen a briggs with the primer bulb built to the carb before except on their old plastic carbs, i know Tecumseh used that style/design quite a bit.
anyhow, that engine appears to be a L-head a.k.a flat head, so it looks like that was the valve cover the took off. if he takes it off again he should see the springs and valve stems in their. i would replace that gasket too.
EDIT: According to Toro that mower uses a Tecumseh LV195EA
on the throttle linkages, this video might can help you out,

jsmith24

Threads
Thanks! You are right, it is a Tecumseh. He just assumed it was a Briggs & Stratton... I mean why get up and walk to the garage to double check instead of just assuming? :)

Before I saw your reply I asked him to double check to make sure that he hadn't tapped the governor arm. He said, "oh yeah when I was cleaning the dirt off it swung around 180° so I just put it back and connected the spring." He probably knocked it loose or it was partly loose already. At any rate, I sent him a video of how to adjust that particular one and 20 minutes later he said it's running perfectly.

I appreciate your help!

Scrubcadet10 said:
I've never seen a briggs with the primer bulb built to the carb before except on their old plastic carbs, i know Tecumseh used that style/design quite a bit.
anyhow, that engine appears to be a L-head a.k.a flat head, so it looks like that was the valve cover the took off. if he takes it off again he should see the springs and valve stems in their. i would replace that gasket too.
EDIT: According to Toro that mower uses a Tecumseh LV195EA
on the throttle linkages, this video might can help you out,

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scrubcadet10 to the rescue. Glad to hear you guys got her running!! (y)

Now fix the idle screw that was tampered with. Don't want to over-rev and blow the engine.

slomo