Hi all newbie here

big wave

Forum Newbie
Threads
so hi to all.
first post but lurked for a while.
i have a 2.5 year old JD E120 with the quick change oil system, now it probably seems like a good idea for some, and there's probably good reasons for it
BUT im old school, so ive just done the conversion to a normal screw on filter and the extension tube to drain the sump

i found that i needed 2.2 litres of oil to get to the full mark, after running the motor to fill the oil filter.
my mower has 188 hours on it and it seems to me to run mildly quieter, took it for a spin to get it hot and check for leaks and all good

now here's the maths and this is Australia, the quick change filter would cost me $88.00, so now a screw on filter is $18.00 and 5 litres of oil is $39.00

to do the conversion the drain tube cost me $20.00 and the screw adapter for the oil filter cost me $5.00

so in the future in stead of $88 for an oil change that does half a job it costs me $18 plus half the 5 litres so $20 = $38.00 and the total oil is changed not just a third

yep im happy, hope now the mower might last a little longer.

oh im a tinkerer so ive also swapped out the front wheel bushes for bearings. anything extra i should do just please sing out

Macca

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I just ran into one these stupid filter here on a new S180 mower that the customer had melted all the front end plastics. It was installed incorrectly from the factory. I had to use a extra large pair channel lock pliers to remove it. The wanted to keep the system even though it only changed less than half the engine's oil.

Personally I would and did recommend converting it to the standard filter system where you have both less cost and can do a complete oil change.

big wave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a follow up, ive now done 7 hours since this mod and i have to say im real pleased with it, the oil is staying super clean on the dip stick
something that was not the case with the old system.
its my opinion (only) that if you want your mower to last the distance then ditch the quick change system

Bidsey

Forum Newbie
Threads
so hi to all.
first post but lurked for a while.
i have a 2.5 year old JD E120 with the quick change oil system, now it probably seems like a good idea for some, and there's probably good reasons for it
BUT im old school, so ive just done the conversion to a normal screw on filter and the extension tube to drain the sump

i found that i needed 2.2 litres of oil to get to the full mark, after running the motor to fill the oil filter.
my mower has 188 hours on it and it seems to me to run mildly quieter, took it for a spin to get it hot and check for leaks and all good

now here's the maths and this is Australia, the quick change filter would cost me $88.00, so now a screw on filter is $18.00 and 5 litres of oil is $39.00

to do the conversion the drain tube cost me $20.00 and the screw adapter for the oil filter cost me $5.00

so in the future in stead of $88 for an oil change that does half a job it costs me $18 plus half the 5 litres so $20 = $38.00 and the total oil is changed not just a third

yep im happy, hope now the mower might last a little longer.

oh im a tinkerer so ive also swapped out the front wheel bushes for bearings. anything extra i should do just please sing out

Macca
Nice Macca, it’s good to heard someone over here in Aus has done this. I’m just about to do the same. Out of interest did you buy your parts online or from your local Stealer? Changes my blades today, new battery, checked tyres, full grease, service is next.
Cheers
Craig

Lawn Addict
Threads
PS: Welcome Aboard !