Hex nut on bottom of carb

yzgrassy

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower will run on either but not of fresh gas so I am assume jet is clogged even though I run only high test (no ethanol) I put the engine away properly last fall.

I was surprised to see this on the bottom of the carb. I trued the usual things but an stumped.. what size is this hex and is there any substitution for it ?

Thanks.
Ian.

Attachments

• 20210429_085843.jpg
    20210429_085843.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210429_085854.jpg
    20210429_085854.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210429_084655.jpg
    20210429_084655.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 13

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That hex on the bottom is the bowl drain and doesn't have a jet associated with it. the jet requires removal of the fuel bowl which is removed with the two 7 mm wrench size bolts. The only reason I have found for them to not start is jet inside bowl clogged, rarely. Water in the fuel, about 85 percent of the time and somebody using the fuel they purchased today, about 14.9 percent of the time.

Don't laugh about that last one because I have had more than one that wouldn't start with the fuel in the tank at the time of delivery to me. And the fuel doesn't look bad, smell bad, or even will pass one of those fuel quality dip sticks, but if you try to ignite it, it will either not ignite or burn with the speed of diesel fuel.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The fuel still should be removed as I found both gell and fuel jelly beans in these fuel bowls.

As said today's fuel can have water in it straight from the fuel pump at the fuel station. I remember having pull fuel tanks several years ago on both my trucks because I kept getting water in my fuel.Not fun with 30 gallons in them and no way to drain them other than to remove them.

I finally change where I was getting my fuel at to solve the problem. It is fun to get a TB horse out of the garden when the soil is tilled 6-8 inches deep just to find the fuel that you just put in the tank is half water.

zedekc

Forum Newbie
Threads
found it.. 10 mm
what tool do you use to remove it, the tutorials i found have bolt that you can use a socket thing i have, but mine is reversed like yours it looks like a giant allen wrench is needed?? idk, im younger and new to trying to work on stuff myself anyone know what i use

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a std SUMP NUT spannar.
You will find them at most auto stores
Theory being that an inhex plug would not catch on things & get torn out ( car sumps ).

zedekc

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a std SUMP NUT spannar.
You will find them at most auto stores
Theory being that an inhex plug would not catch on things & get torn out ( car sumps ).
oh awesome! I got my mower running too! its actually running better than when i bought it haha, followed a lot of tips here and on youtube xD I bought a new one after a day or 2 didnt think i would ever be able to fix it, I didnt open knew one just in case because they said i could return if i don't open or dont put gas in it, I could have sworn they were way cheaper a couple years ago, after I saw the price I decided to try a few more times to try to repair lol, I broke the choke cable latch thingy that connects the cable to the handle in the process of messing around with the mower, but i learned a few new skills from some guide channels and fixed that too xD Anyway ty for answer and ty everyone on the internet for help :)