Help with wiring issue

Tomcatx5

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a white outdoor riding lawn mower with a 18 horse Vanguard V-Twin Briggs & Stratton engine. I recently watched a few videos on YouTube of how to rewire the mower bypassing all safety switches which I understand is not recommended but this mower is old and I'm just trying to get the basics out of it. I went with a push button start and a toggle switch for a Kill. So far I have the wire run from the starter to one side of the solenoid the other side of the solenoid has a wire going to the battery one to the push button start one from the push button start to the small tab on the solenoid. My question is which of the wires is the alternator and should it be run to the selling wood and also how should I wire the voltage regulator up to the system. My voltage regulator has two yellow wires and one purple wire coming out of it and I don't know where they go. Any help would be appreciated thank you

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you sure it is a purple instead of red?

Tomcatx5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im sure its purple & there are two yellow wires paired together coming out of the voltage regulator and the one purple one. There is also a yellow wire coming out of something that's right next to the oil filter I'm not sure what that is either

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then the two paired in the ac input from the stator (alternator) so should be a matching plug there. Maybe a paired connector with black or yellow wires depending on the stator. If there a red/ black paired then you can't wire up the regulator. Then purple would the DC output that goes the battery positive terminal. The yellow wire next the oil filter is probably the oil pressure switch connection.

Tomcatx5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks a lot there isnt a red/black paired that i can see. For some reason now i cant get my starter to engage. The solenoid just clicks when i hit the button but doesnt engage the starter?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Solenoid clicking but not engaging the starter is normally the sign of one of three problems. Weak or bad battery. Loose or corroded connections. Bad starter. If you put battery power directly to the starter and it engages the engine, starter good, check the other two.