Help with springs in LT2000

NE_runner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm replacing a belt in my LT2000 Craftsman mower but cannot figure out how to connect 2 springs I disconnected. This is Model #247.288851.

The first one is pictured below.

IMG_2529.jpg

It is attached to a cable that connects to the back to the mower as showing in the picture below.

IMG_2528.jpg
The second spring is shown in the picture below:

IMG_2532.jpg

I'm not sure that one attaches to the frame or to the post (screw) circled in yellow in the picture below:

IMG_2530.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

OldDiyer

Threads
The first picture is the engagement cable, it is first connected to a bracket with an oval the housing part of cable goes first than the oval washer on the other side and is secured with a clip. After that the spring is mounted to a post on the engagement lever and a washer and pin is also installed. If you look in the owners manual there is a picture of this setup.
The second may be for the return and may go to that post not sure because I have never taken that off to work on the deck or to change belt. I can look at my deck and see where it goes if the pictures in manual don't help you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
PTO cable spring goes to the deck.
The large on the transmission idle(r) pulley arm goes the left side frame. It does not connect to the circled item.
1629723301069.png
You are either missing the idler clutch spring or simply didn't show it. It also connects to the LH side frame near the FNR lever. This spring is about a 1/2 in diameter.

Last edited:

OldDiyer

Threads
As for that second spring Star Tech is correct . I looked at my deck but don't have that spring because my tractor does not have the PTO clutch my is manual. The engagement cable is the same I think. I don't think it goes below the trans axle but above it.

NE_runner

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first picture is the engagement cable, it is first connected to a bracket with an oval the housing part of cable goes first than the oval washer on the other side and is secured with a clip. After that the spring is mounted to a post on the engagement lever and a washer and pin is also installed. If you look in the owners manual there is a picture of this setup.
The second may be for the return and may go to that post not sure because I have never taken that off to work on the deck or to change belt. I can look at my deck and see where it goes if the pictures in manual don't help you.
Thanks for your answer! I can't figure out where the cable goes based on the manual, if you can take a picture for me that would be very helpful!
Do you have the same model? A picture from the bottom showing all the connections for the springs would be amazing if you could.

NE_runner

Forum Newbie
Threads
PTO engine engine goes to the deck.
The large on the transmission idle pulley arm goes the left side frame. It does not connect to the circled item.
View attachment 58042
You are either missing the idler clutch spring or simply didn't show it. It also connects to the LH side frame near the FNR lever. This spring is about a 1/2 in diameter.
Thanks. Maybe mine does not have that extra 1/2 inch in diameter spring since the mower was working fine before the belt broke? Sorry but I'm really ignorant about this, I'm not sure what those acronyms (PTO, LH, FNR) means :(

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The spring may been killed the drive belt is out on the lawn somewhere. Although once a spring goes awol it likely not found easily and even if found it is probably mangled beyond use.

And I see my coffee hadnt kick in when I typed as the engine engine words should had read "cable spring". Sorry to get going some mornings.

PTO = Power Take Off In your case your deck is driven by the engine main PTO pulley
LH = Left Hand
RH = Right Hand
FNR = Forward Neutral Reverse

Schools is your areas must be really teaching things like LH, RH, FWD, REV. IF they didn't then it is their fault like mine didn't teach how to find rooms by room number in multi story building. Common sense teaching must have been thrown out the door.

Now the question is did the school teach how to tell which hand is your left hand?

Anyway got go to the shop and dig out my welder so I can weld up a JD engine mount bracket. It will take awhile as it is 1/4 plate and has rubber mounts that I got to keep cool.

NE_runner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I think I figured everything out. The engagement cable goes to the mowing deck, somehow I thought it would attach to the frame somewhere, silly me.

The shorter spring (number 50 in the picture from the manual below, green arrows) attaches to the left side of the frame.

The long half-inch in diameter spring (number 51, red arrows) is missing! I think one end of it attaches to the post I circled in yellow in my original post. I can't find it anywhere in my lawn, maybe that was disconnected during mowing and that caused the belt (number 69) to brake? It looks like I will need to order this spring.

1629728665753.png