Help with cub xt1 instantly blowing fuse

James844

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a cub cadet xt1 model 13AQ1CQ009. It has to be a dead short because it blows the fuse instantly. Everything worked fine till a flywheel magnet came loose. It did blow the fuse but I cannot see any physical damage on the strator and it was .3 ohms resitance same result for the new one also. I use my multimeter in the fuse holder and it always shows 12.47 v till I unplug that section of wiring then it drops like it should. I have already tried new stator, reticfier and a relay that is connected into that section of harness. I did notice when I installed the new reticfier that voltage was down till I mounted it. Can any tell me what I am missing. I have the wires out of the loom and have not found any bare spots or broken wires yet. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all ground straps & cables by hand & pull on them making sure they are tight & secure. If you're washing tractor, engine, etc. with water stop using water, will cause electrical & mechanical parts to fail. Pick up a tube of Dielectric Grease & apply to all electrical connections one at a time.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
New parts
1) Genuine branded parts from the dealer
2) certified aftermarket parts from a mower / small engine shop
3) luck dip off Amazon / ebay

When does the fuse blow ?
the instant it is put in?
the instant you turn the key on ?
the instant the engine starts ?

James844

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I will check all ground connections tomorrow and let yall know what I find. Haven't washed it with water. This just started when the magnets turned loose on the flywheel.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your post model is short a few characters. There should 11 and I count only 9.

James844

Forum Newbie
Threads
Parts was purchased though rotary. Fuse blows while installing it. Doesn't blow if I unplug the rectifier or unbolt it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
so your problem is with the rectifier or the stator
Either the rectifier is the wrong one or it has an internal short
Or one of the stator terminals has a direct short to ground
Unplug the stator and plug in the rectifier
If that blows the fuse then the rectifier is the problem
If it does not blow the fuse then connect the stator
Fuse blows = short in the stator
Wiring schmetic should be in the back of the owners manual
Note the body of the rectifier is the ground
the terminals are 2 x AC & 1 x DC + the DC - is the body of the rectifier.

James844

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I did plug the reticfier in now fuse blew. It did blow when I got both strator wires connected with it. Guess I order another strator and see how that goes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ok I did plug the reticfier in now fuse blew. It did blow when I got both strator wires connected with it. Guess I order another strator and see how that goes.
Needs clarifying.

Okay let's try this before you order a new stator. Unplug the two AC wires from the Rectifier/Voltage Regulator. You will need a flat narrow tool like your wife's hair pins to remove the terminal from the housing. Then just plug in just the B+ Lead into the regulator. Now if the fuse blows when you do then the regulator is bad and not the new stator. The regulator can still be blown so if you do order a new stator order regulator too.