Help understanding this mower I bought: HRX217KVKA

ThisGuy74

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help understanding this mower I bought: HRX217KVKA
So I bought this mower, its used obviously, but works great and looks in great condition too. Now the model number states: HRX217KVKA Serial: MAGA 1401628. Ive seen models HRX217VKA, but what does the "K" before the "V" mean? It has a GCV160 motor on it, but everything I find says it should have the GCV190. Is this the correct motor? It works fine etc, maybe someone swapped it at some point? Hoping Robert@honda can pop in...

Edited: looks like I found someone else with the same engine... Its the 3rd post by Roger
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285293
So maybe there are a few flukes out there.

Last edited:
Threads
Welcome to the forum! The reason your specific mower has a K after the 217 is because that is the version of the mower you have. Unlike vehicles, Honda mowers don't have model years, they have different versions, which are designated by the letter or number after the 217. Yours says K because that stands for K1, or version 1. The more recent models after that would say 2 for K2 (version 2), 3 for K3 (version 3), etc. So that means you have the original version of the HRX217VKA. Below is a diagram showing what the model number means. And about the engine, yes it should have a 190cc engine, Robert@Honda will have to help you with that. My guess is someone swapped it out.

HondaMowerModelDecoder_zps68a1194e.jpg

ThisGuy74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting... I asked the guy I bought it from last night again and he said he got it from Home Depot in 2011. I told him.about the 160 vs the 190 motor and the said that he did not swap it out. Could it be a limitation that Hone Depot did at one point?

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Is it the shroud that says it's a GCV160 or is that what the engine serial number identifies it as?

ThisGuy74

Forum Newbie
Threads
The shroud and its stamped 160cm3

ThisGuy74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you guys think the gcv160 is a small motor or would it still perform fine for my 1/3 grass cuttings? I love the mower, the deck, the self propel etc. Just the motor is a little smaller.

Threads
If you perform regular cuts you should be OK.....could I see a photo of the mower/engine to see what it looks like?

ThisGuy74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Threads

Wow that looks weird with the black engine. According to the owners manual for your serial number for the VKA it says it should be the GCV190 engine, and although the owners manual is in black-and-white, it doesn't look like the engine you have on it.