Help! Scag Tiger Cat 2 Shuts Down

Kirchm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tiger Cat 2 was running fine and then all of a sudden as soon as I move the steering levers out of neutral to move forward the mower would die.
Any idea?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The parking brake switch is not working properly or the interlock module has failed or the wiring between then has failed .
Brake & lap bars are linked to prevent you driving with the brake on .

geelee

Threads
or seat switch

Kirchm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also before the mower would start and run every time; just die out when attempting to move the levers out of neutral. Now the mower will not fire up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starting to sound more & more like the interlock module gone south .
Before we go any further we need full model details , model & serial numbers so we can check the actual circuit diagrams for your mower
Some have switches connected together by relays while others have a control module intergrated with the hour meter .

Kirchm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Disregard the fuel issue. That was me being a dumb ass.
Checked the seat, both steering sensors, parking brake and pto and cleaned them while doing so. All seem to be functioning as they should on the meter.

It will start and run and die immediately when you try to engage to go forward.
Model: STCII-52V-25CV-EFI
Serial: L9100363

Kirchm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone seen the Tiger Eye module fail? Today I noticed that the parking break light stays on even when disengaged also the seat is doing the same thing. The neutral and Pto indicator seem to act as they should.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't have any in my run but have replaced the similar module on a couple of Toro Time Masters .
They have a chip & usually some solid state switches.
These are very sensitive to excess current, voltage or reversed voltage.
Cheap multi meters can even fry them .
So before I plug a new one in I triple check all of the circuits .
It is the tiger eye that trips the cranking relay by grounding the solenoid trigger and also the tiger eye that turns off the magneto in all but normal shut down.
You can bypass it but in doing so none of the safety switches will work and while I have done it for my customers so they could use the mower while I waited for replacements, I have no intention of putting these instructions on an open public forum.
If you can not follow the circuit diagram well enough to work out how to do it yourself then you should not be fooling with it.
The actual switches fail more often than the module but you can test the module by jumping it's connectors to bypass the actual switches
If that works then jump or disconnect the actual switch, if the problem comes back then the wiring between the switch & the tiger eye is faulty.
The Toro one costs near $ 300 ( Aus ) by the time I get my hands on it and I think the tiger eye is even more expensive.
Scag do not call it a safety switch module because the instant they do, that triggers the brain dead to work out how to bypass it and then post their findings on You tube as if they are some sort of genius.

Kirchm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Understood. The tiger eye stared flickering out today so I ordered a new unit $280. Expensive gamble but it seems like it is the last option. If I have time I will bypass module before it arrives.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Work through the wiring diagram and check that none of the wires that are supposed to be ground have voltage on them or you will blow another $ 280 .
Franchise Scag dealers should have a diagnostic plug that replaces the tiger eye to diagnose wiring faults.
You can do it with a multi meter but you will need a set of very thin probes used for computers