Help removing drive pulley key

warrenpeas

Threads
I removed the set screw with an allen wrench easily. Have sprayed the key down with liquid wrench 3 different times and let is set for hours even days. Should I be trying to push the key out the direction of the yellow or red arrow in my picture illustration? You can see in the picture i have already pushed it down the direction of the yellow arrow about 1.5 inches but it will not budge any further so i think im doing something totally wrong.

The other possibility of first removing the Snapper drive disk from the drive pulley has to be a last option because it is also seized on really good and is smooth with nothing to grip on to or tap on counterclockwise wise with a hammer. This is a 20 year old bad briggs engine and i just need the pulley disk and key for my new briggs engine.

disk 3 small.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was going to say air hammer, Hammer. LOL There's the old candle wax trick too. Little propane torch action.

Should be trying to remove the pulley away from the engine or the red arrow direction. You said you sprayed it several times with LW. I really can't see much evidence that you sprayed it. Are you wiping it off or what? You need to soak that sucker down.

My opinion, the best penetrating oil out there is PB Blaster. It has a surfactant inside to penetrate. WD-40 is a waste of time.

Once you get it off, apply anti-seize to the crank and pulley. Won't have this issue again.

Screenshot_2020-06-27 Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant 80078 O'Reilly Auto Parts.png

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried the wax trick a couple times. Never worked for me. My weapons of choice are the air hammer and the acetylene wrench.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try threading a bolt into the crankshaft, and then lift up on the plate, the engine upside down, then smack on the bolt a bit with a hammer.
Might need a friend to hold the plate.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or just cut the end of the crankshaft off, so you can easily press out the rest of it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why is the pulley still on the crank? Get it off, then go buy a new key.

warrenpeas

Threads
i have been doing it wrong by trying to remove the key and then the pulley because the pulley would not budge. Im going to heat up the shaft and try to remove the pulley with the key still in place. Thanks to everyone for their input.

warrenpeas

Threads
i got it off easily when i put a piece of wood between the pulley and the engine and hit it with a hammer. The key is wedged in the shaft real good though since i was hitting it the wrong way with a hammer for 30 minutes.

keakar

Threads
sorry im late to the party, but did you remove the second set screw? the one that is there to prevent the pulley from sliding off of the crankshaft?

the key slot is tapered and gets shallower at the bottom so the key cannot move down and out

also measure and record exactly how far the plate is above the engine case or your drive pulley wont get the correct traction when you reassemble it. a 64th of an inch difference can be all it takes to cause the mower drive to slip doing up an incline