Help on half choke?

louky1150

Threads
This is on a Honda GX31 but also a generic question. I have two identical tillers, one of which I just picked up. My original tiller works fine, the recent one had some carb symptoms. Before buying anything, I decided to move the carb over from my old one to the recent one. It now starts quickly and runs good , but only on half choke. I moved the carb back to the original and it works normally. I still think this will work with a new carb, but just wondering what else I could check on this. Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Valve clearances, fuel delivery to carb, filthy fuel tank, filthy cylinder cooling fins, carb linkages all out of whack and so on. Spark plug and possible filthy air filter. Governor slightly out of adjustment, shot in the dark.

I bought a couple Mclane edgers with the Briggs 3.5hp engines. Noticed with the tach on the coil wire, I had 3600 revs with no air filter. Put the air filter on that looked okay but not new, revs dropped to 3400'ish. Could hear the revs drop installing the air filter.

Sounds like you need a carb clean/rebuild. Wouldn't hurt a bit.

slomo

louky1150

Threads
Slomo: Thanks for all the ideas. I will definitely check the valves as I found a youtube on it. These little engines are set up more like a trimmer so no complicated linkages. I did flip the spark plugs but forgot to mention that in my original post.