Help! Noise in my engine

Bange

Threads
I recently bought a used Murray 18.5 (B&S 31P777), and I believe it's hitting connecting rod or clearance in the crankshaft housing... i have can check without opening?
Tks.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine cold remove rocker covers & check valve clearance. Post complete model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code xxxxxx.

Last edited:

Bange

Threads
The machine was stopped, with the starter burned ... I have already recovered and it is operational ... certainly there is a slight malfunction in the valves, but I am still not sure of the right checking / adjustment moments. There are videos showing TDC verification and another 1/4 inch further on the exhaust. what is the right moment?
Model 31P777
Type 0602B1
Code 100209ZD

Last edited:

Bange

Threads
Well, I found this video excellent, well prepared and referenced to the Briggs manual ... now I have no doubt.
In my case, before the adjustment, it was:
Input + - 0.13 mm (+ - 0.0005 inches)
Output + - 0.20 mm (+ - 0.0008 inches)
After adjustment:
Input 0.010 mm (0.0004 inches)
Output 0.015 mm (0.0006 inches)
Note: I don't have an inch gauge

The head part was a little quieter, but the initial noise continues ... is it just opening and measuring or is there another method of evaluation?

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
go to the part store and buy some feeler gauges.

Bange

Threads
I have, but only in millimeters ...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lot of people set the wrong valve ON the wrong valve. They mistake intake for exhaust. Confirm what valve you are on. The video seems proper.

His video description is alarming. He said at 0.004" it was tight but okay. To me tight is not in spec for clearance.

Lastly with the feeler gauge, all you need is a SLIGHT DRAG. Like pulling a sheet of paper out of a closed book.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back to your original problem, post up a video of your engine running.

slomo

Bange

Threads
Lot of people set the wrong valve ON the wrong valve. They mistake intake for exhaust. Confirm what valve you are on. The video seems proper.

His video description is alarming. He said at 0.004" it was tight but okay. To me tight is not in spec for clearance.

Lastly with the feeler gauge, all you need is a SLIGHT DRAG. Like pulling a sheet of paper out of a closed book.

slomo

I'm not sure what he said, because I don't speak and hardly understand English (I use the Google translator), but it is possible that with a gap he refers to the lower or tight value ... I always prefer a central point, because it corrects previous positioning errors. I have a good knowledge of 4-stroke automotive engines, but this single cylinder is the first one I got and without precise technical information, unfortunately ... Please, if you don't understand something, ask me ok? ... Google is not exact ...

Bange

Threads
My engine...
Where I pointed out is that the noise occurs