Help needed please

Flo_rida

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. Name is Chris. I'm new here and I'm having a problem with my Honda HRX217. I bought it in 2016. Everything has been good up until about last year. Now it's doing it again. It will not start cold, unless I pull off the air filter. Yes that is correct pull the air filter off and boom one pull it fires over.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so if somebody could guide me in the general direction of what I should start looking at, I would greatly appreciate it. The filter is brand new this year. There are about 8 hours on the air filter. I have cleaned it after every single use. Still the same problem continues. I drain the tank and the carburetor at the end of the season for the past four years everything is dry during the winter time. Again thank you!!

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome.

#1. The balance between air and fuel as mixed by the carb is so tickleish that a clogged air filter can throw the mixture off and cause the mower not to start. The filter may not look clogged, but it can be... even if you don't see debris. Try replacing the air filter.

#2. If the fuel is over 6 weeks old, try fresh fuel. Modern fuels go "bad" in an extremely short time.

Flo_rida

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey thank you so much. I only use 89 octane non-ethanol. I go through one tank of fuel every week because I have a big yard. I might have found the problem.
A Honda dealership told me to look at the butterfly valve for the choke. If it is open when the motor is cold then that's a problem. I just went out this morning granted it's 75 degrees in my garage, but that choke butterfly is in the open position right now.

So, yes it seems like this wax cartridge is my problem for the auto choke. Youtube guy just proved it, by showing that if the butterfly is open on a cold engine, the wax cartridge is the culprit. Could I get some help looking for the exact part number please for my engine? I have gcv190. Model # HRX217K5VKAA. Thank you.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey thank you so much. I only use 89 octane non-ethanol. I go through one tank of fuel every week because I have a big yard. I might have found the problem.
A Honda dealership told me to look at the butterfly valve for the choke. If it is open when the motor is cold then that's a problem. I just went out this morning granted it's 75 degrees in my garage, but that choke butterfly is in the open position right now.

So, yes it seems like this wax cartridge is my problem for the auto choke. Youtube guy just proved it, by showing that if the butterfly is open on a cold engine, the wax cartridge is the culprit. Could I get some help looking for the exact part number please for my engine? I have gcv190. Model # HRX217K5VKAA. Thank you.

Thanks for posting this video. I have a Honda push mower someone gave me a few months back, that won't start.

Darn Honda over does it with all their gaskets. Especially pressure washers.