Help Identify Idler Pulley Spring

zandoval

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going through the process of replacing my thoroughly abused Spendle Assembly. In the process found the remnants of a broken spring hanging close to my idler pulley. Can some one please tell me what spring it is and where it anchors?

Snapper Rear Engine 30" Mod 7800786

SnapperSpring3.jpg

Attachments

• SnapperSpring.jpg
    SnapperSpring.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 9

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have any belt issues? Wondering as your belts plunge deep into the pulleys. On typical automotive/mower v-belts, the belt is supposed to ride just proud of the outer circumference. In other words, your pulleys show a ton of good use. Here are a few pics of what they should look like.

1.jpeg

2.png

3.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpeg4.jpeg

slomo

keakar

Threads
snappers are notorious for this, the belt only wears thin on the sides then bottoms out on the pulley and slips

replace the belt

FYI - the belt on snapper rer always still look new even though they have no life left because they have narrowed too much

the idler pulley has 2 notches for the bolt so make sure you use the correct hole to get just a hair extra tension for the belt

i have contemplated ways to add more tension but then with a new belt you get way too much tension so replace the belt and dont try to reinvent it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What Slomo says is correct for belts like fan belts that always drive and do not clutch.
Mower transmission belts have deeper pulleys because the belt has to go slack to beak the drive and the pulley has to be deep enough to prevent the belt jumping off the pulley.
ZTR trans belts are the exception because they are always driving.

All V belts wear on the V sides because they are the contact faces.
Usually the wear will allow the belt to sit deeper in the groove so it goes slack then it slips so it wears even faster.
Very rare for the belt to actually get that thin that it runs on the root of a pulley.
The exception to this is the varidrive pulleys and the stack pulley on the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What Slomo says is correct for belts like fan belts that always drive and do not clutch.
Mower transmission belts have deeper pulleys because the belt has to go slack to beak the drive and the pulley has to be deep enough to prevent the belt jumping off the pulley.
ZTR trans belts are the exception because they are always driving.

All V belts wear on the V sides because they are the contact faces.
Usually the wear will allow the belt to sit deeper in the groove so it goes slack then it slips so it wears even faster.
Very rare for the belt to actually get that thin that it runs on the root of a pulley.
The exception to this is the varidrive pulleys and the stack pulley on the engine.
Good to know Bertsmobile1, thanks for sharing the info.(y)

slomo