Help ID This Old Ariens Tiller - Please

bjordan

Threads
Hi Folks,

I am working on getting an old Ariens tiller my dad bought back in the late 60s or early 70s. I can not find the model number anywhere on it. I found the serial number decal (see first pic) and it reads 24B 021628. Its sporting a Briggs and Stratton Jet 4 HP engine. I have the gas tank and carbureator off for cleaning of both.

Can anyone point me to what model this tiller is?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Burwell Jordan, New OrleansTiller.jpgTiller1.jpgTiller 2.jpgTiller3.jpgTiller.jpgTiller1.jpgTiller 2.jpgTiller3.jpgelans

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three things I need to help ID your tiller. First all engine numbers, located either on the top or the side of the blower housing. Second can you tell us the size (width) of the tiller. 18” 20” or 24”. Third can you get a pic of the carb and tank.

bjordan

Threads
Three things I need to help ID your tiller. First all engine numbers, located either on the top or the side of the blower housing. Second can you tell us the size (width) of the tiller. 18” 20” or 24”. Third can you get a pic of the carb and tank.

Hello Rivets. Thanks for the help so far. I measured the width of the tines and they are just over 23", so they are probably worn down from 24". The engine is a 4HP "Super Jet" and the engine numbers are: 100292 0154-20 E111291. The tank is in a bath of vinegar to get the rust out, but it looks like ths one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Str...522318?hash=item422724274e:g:Ee8AAOSwVPNf4sOT

Here are a couple of pics of the carbureator after its bath in the ultrasonic cleaner (not fully reassembled yet): Carb1.jpgCarb2.jpg

Thanks again for the help!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, you’ve got an oldie new, and I’ve not been able to find much info on the unit. First, the unit is is called an “Ariens Super Jet Model 24B”. Second, the Briggs engine was built before 1965, probably around 1957, but I can’t come up with an exact year. I can tell you that the engine and tiller do go together. I’ve tried to find an owners manual or parts manual in PDF form, but have come up blank. Your best bet for a manual to get tiller parts if needed will be to contact customer support at Ariens directly. Engine parts should be easily available through your local repair shop. Sorry I can’t help more.

bjordan

Threads
Thanks again Rivets! I found a 2-page manual on ebay, and I sent an email to Ariens customer support. I'll have this old gal churning up dirt in no time!

** If anyone else has any additional information, please let me know.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That could very well be, I was wrong one time before. My investigation shows the Briggs engine was built before 1965 and the closet year I can come up with is 1957. Question to the original poster, is the letter E in the number you posted correct? Please check.

Last edited:

mmoffitt

Threads
Rivets you got me beat! or do I have you Beat?..cause I'm wrong all of the time!