Help ID this lawnboy

Oddjob

Threads
The model and serial numbers are not legible/visible. It is missing the coil and there is a metal collar around the drive shaft above the blade adapter that is damaged. There are plastic pieces attached to the air filter housing that are so brittle they break at the touch. Otherwise, the metal parts of the mower seem to be in decent shape and the motor turns freely. As you can see, it does not have the typical offset front wheel. Does this make it less worth restoring?

Attachments

• D487E466-0D06-4641-906F-87728979FB0B.jpeg
    D487E466-0D06-4641-906F-87728979FB0B.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 31
  • EF124611-11AC-41AF-B46C-73A4BD2DDA3F.jpeg
    EF124611-11AC-41AF-B46C-73A4BD2DDA3F.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 32

FuzzyDriver

Threads
I have a similar *non-staggered wheel) Lawn-Boy that is not in running order. Mine is Aluminum deck and, I believe, newer than yours. Mine has the newer engine with the muffler above the deck. I'm not going to restore mine, just use it for parts. If you have the bag, the mower might be worth restoring, but that steel deck doesn't help at all.

Oddjob

Threads
I have a similar *non-staggered wheel) Lawn-Boy that is not in running order. Mine is Aluminum deck and, I believe, newer than yours. Mine has the newer engine with the muffler above the deck. I'm not going to restore mine, just use it for parts. If you have the bag, the mower might be worth restoring, but that steel deck doesn't help at all.
I do have the bag. Didn’t realize that had value.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
I do have the bag. Didn’t realize that had value.

Well, just looking how it discharges, it would seriously hurt its value if it was blowing grass at the guy pushing it, heh heh. And it couldn't be converted to side discharge since there's no chute. Hmmmm, maybe it could get a mulch top plate ::shoulder shrug::.

dougmacm

Threads
Interesting that the 8673 is 21" cut, the cast aluminum deck versions like this from the 80's were usually (if not all) 20" cut.

In 1983 there was a 4573 that seems to be the same specs and not SP ... could be the model number of what you have.

Doug

dougmacm

Threads
Well, just looking how it discharges, it would seriously hurt its value if it was blowing grass at the guy pushing it, heh heh. And it couldn't be converted to side discharge since there's no chute. Hmmmm, maybe it could get a mulch top plate ::shoulder shrug::.

The ebay listing for the 8673 shows a mulch plate.

Doug

Oddjob

Threads
Interesting that the 8673 is 21" cut, the cast aluminum deck versions like this from the 80's were usually (if not all) 20" cut.

In 1983 there was a 4573 that seems to be the same specs and not SP ... could be the model number of what you have.

Doug
Thanks. I think you are right. I went to the parts diagrams on Jacks Small Engines website and saw that they put 4573 diagrams next to and on the same page as 8673 as well as the 8673 AE and S models. All had the same body. I had to look up what AE meant. If there are others who also don’t know, it means that model had an electric starter. Anyone know what the S designation means?

dougmacm

Threads
Thanks. I think you are right. I went to the parts diagrams on Jacks Small Engines website and saw that they put 4573 diagrams next to and on the same page as 8673 as well as the 8673 AE and S models. All had the same body. I had to look up what AE meant. If there are others who also don’t know, it means that model had an electric starter. Anyone know what the S designation means?

In the LB Model Number list I have, there is no "S" designation listed for any models in 1983, so I don't know what that could be. Even scrolled a few years back & forward from 1983 and saw no "S" on the end of any model numbers.

Doug