Help for a first time Simplicity owner

Jcegerton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if you guys can give me some advice, as this is my first time owning a lawn tractor.

I’ve purchased a Simplicity Baron 18hp, which i believe is an export model (I’m in the uk).

My question is around driving the tractor with the mowing deck disengaged (pulled up with the side lever).

I find that when I have the mower deck in its lowest position and I pull the disengagement lever, the deck rises slightly and the rollers raise off the ground. The problem is that the deck wobbles and moves and is generally not thy secure. I’m worried about banging it.

If I have the deck in it’s highest position and disengage, then the deck ‘locks’ nicely at a good height and doesn’t move. The problem is that the rollers are on the floor.

Is this how it should work? Ideally I would want everything ‘up’ and nice and tight so I can cruise around the yard pulling a trailer.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
John

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please provide us with the model numbers from the tractor and deck

Jcegerton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,

the model number on my mower says 1694102.

putting that into the simplicity EU site comes back with manuals and parts guides.

thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now that I can see which deck you have I don’t think there is any wrong. You have a floating deck, so when ever it is not in the top position, it should move around. As long as you have it in the highest position you should have no problems.

Jcegerton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets,

the way it works right now is that, if the deck is in its highest position and I pull the handle to pull the deck up, the handle is really slack and nothing really happens. If I try to drive like this the handle just jumps out.

On another note, I took the opportunity to inspect more as I’m waiting for a new belt (it snapped the other day. I now see that with the deck in it’s lowest setting, it actually pushes against one of the pulleys, stopping it from moving. Any ideas on what I should do here?

81345045-E051-4E42-A458-C94103FD085E.jpegThanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, the tensioner arm which that pulley is mounted on is bent. The pulley should be parallel with the deck. That’s why it is hitting. Second, when you raise the height adjustment lever all the way up, there should be a U shaped piece near the bottom which should lock it up. The button on the top of the lever should release the U shape piece to set the mowing height.

Jcegerton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great spot regarding the tensioner arm. I’ll fix this at the weekend.
With regards to the height adjustment, what I meant to say was, I can set the height by depressing the button on the handle and adjusting the height. You are right that there is a U shaped piece that locks into place and that all works fine. What I mean is, there is also a control next to the cruise control which is listed as the attachment kift control lever. When the deck is adjusted (with the other lever) to its lowest position, pulling this lever raises both the deck and the rollers. But when the desk has been adjusted to its height position, Pulli this lever doesn’t raise the deck or the rollers and instead, is slack and jumps out of its position while driving. It’s like an ‘r’ shape that you pull up and to the side to lock in place.

hope this makes sense?

thanks for all your help!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand what you have now, hope you understand my explanation. You have three handles (levers) on your right side. Mounted to the deck is the height adjustment lever. This Is used to set your cutting height. Set it when you start cutting and leave it until you have completed cutting, then raise it to the highest setting. Outside handle (lever) on right fender is your deck lift hydraulic assist. This will lower the cutting deck to the height you selected with the first handle. Your deck is now floating, loose on its hangers. The inside handle (lever) is cruise control, which will lock your travel speed. Many times people will set their travel speed and then just use the hydraulic lever to raise and lower the deck as they start and end a cutting, which is much easier than resetting the cutting height at the end of a cut. If you are not mowing, but maybe pulling a small trailer, your set the the height adjuster at it’s highest setting and set the hydraulic assist to fully raised. Your deck should now be locked in. Hope this makes sense.

Jcegerton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got it, makes sense to me thanks.

my issue is that when the hydraulic lift is in position, it’s very slack and the rollers are pushed firmly to the floor.

i made a video for you so you can tell
Me if this is normal or not.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got it, makes sense to me thanks.

my issue is that when the hydraulic lift is in position, it’s very slack and the rollers are pushed firmly to the floor.

i made a video for you so you can tell
Me if this is normal or not.

Thanks!

The hydraulic lift needs the engine to be running to supply hydraulic pressure to the ram
The lever just opens & closes a valve so should have almost no back pressure on it.
You might be low in hydro oil or the pump might not be working or the valve may not be working.