have a 1978 MTD 16 hp Briggs n stratton engine.......NO spark

durtfarmr

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / have a 1978 MTD 16 hp Briggs n stratton engine.......NO spark
i have had this ol girl a long time..........lost spark...it has had a electronic ignition coil upgrade but still no spark......key in flywheel is good...ive even disconnected the "kill " wire to coil.still no spark..any thoughts...??

Rocky J

Threads
The electronic ignition coil says flywheel side on it ,maybe start with it is on there upside down and How did you air gap the new electronic ignition coil , I fold printer paper so I have 4 thickness and wrap around flywheel letting magnet on flywheel hold the new module while I tighten the two bolts, then roll the flywheel to remove the paper. Just thoughts to get started with.

mikebarber

Threads
If it was mine I would put money on a bet it was failed electronics in the coil/magneto or whatever you want to call it
Too many of these ignitions fail from the engine being called on to supply almost maximum horsepower then being shut off immediately after delivering high horsepower Add to that a few years of use and some grass plugging a little bit of airflow and the situation only gets worse High horsepower equals high heat all is fine and dandy while the airflow is cooling that coil now shut the engine down and you still have a ton of heat in the cylinder and piston and now no airflow to remove it so that heat just radiates and guess where the ignition coil is attached right on the side of the cylinder I always idle mine for at least 3 minutes before shutdown the same as I would do if I had a turbo on a water cooled engine Gary

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was the magnetron upgrade done before this happened or was it done to try and fix this problem?